From:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Sep 2008 21:23:27 -0700

Dear Listmates,

First of all, Thank yous are deserved by Nancy Lapid from About.Com who has
published a list of gluten-free Challah recipes. Although the rich, eggy
challah is traditionally used by Jews worldwide during this time of year,
you don't have to be Jewish to enjoy this wonderful and not so low calorie
treat. Challah dough has butter, eggs, and often honey. The dough is a great
base for cheese or jam-filled breakfast rolls and warm, yeasty cinnamon
rolls. You can pick Nancy's challah recipe recommendations at
http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/theglutenfreediet/tp/challah_links.htm (
http://tinyurl.com/4jseog ) .

I've updated our gluten free challah recipe since last year at about this
same time. This year's update has both a diary-based bread and a bread that
is free from all dairy. I can't decide which I like better, but they are not
identically the same. I actually got lots of oven-spring from the dairy-free
version, and that is something I am not used to in gluten free bread. If you
would like to view the updated recipe (sorry, no updated pictures) navigate
to http://home.comcast.net/~vhdolcourt/gfbaking/ (
http://tinyurl.com/2vdggw) and look for <NEW> in bold red text.
*
*
I've been asked in the past how to make the breads egg-free. I know that
there are lots of good egg-free bakers that monitor the list, and if you
need a good egg-free recipe, just send out an inquiry to the list. Since I'm
OK with eggs, and since my recipes don't turn out well without eggs, I'm not
going to be of much help in this department.

Please let me know if you have questions or comments.

Vic - Sunnyvale, CA*
*

*******
*******