From:
Maria Fealey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Maria Fealey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2006 08:54:38 -0400

Thanks to all of you who responded to my request for information about
eating at Famous Daves BBQ.  They finally replied to me but didn't have much
to say.here is their response:

"I am sorry but we do not have any nutritional information to give out at
this time.  We are working on a database that we hope to have out later this
year."

Some people had a list of the items for purchase that are gluten free but I
think they are changing it so I am not going to post it. Some say the
restaurant uses different ingredients.It seems like the results vary greatly
by area. Some areas seem to have a gluten free menu but it does sound like
it would need to be checked...

Below is a summary of the responses I received..I am still unsure of whether
or not we should try it:

Be CAREFUL!  I checked their sauces on their website, and wrote down the
names of the ones that appeared g/f.  We went to the restaurant, and I
verified with the waiter.  I was told the sauces sold for retail have
different ingredients than those in the restaurant - even though they have
the exact same names.  I was then told all the rubs they use contain gluten,
and the only side dish was their cole slaw.  I was very disappointed!  My
family enjoyed everything.

I enjoyed a dinner there of ribs and corn on the cob.  I checked out the
ingredients on a bottle of their barbeque sauce prior to eating.  I was
fine.  Good luck!

Brisket is great.  French fries are not GF.  Cooked in fryer used for other
stuff.  Just use common sense and you will be OK.  Do the baked potato.

Yes, it is so limited it is ridiculous, you can have the hamburger with out
bun and bbq sauce.  No fries, sub in a baked potato.  Or you can only have
the steak.

My office had lunch delivered from Famous Daves.  I tried to contact them
but got a response that they do not have information to tell me if it's
gluten-free or not.  I did see a BBQ sauce packet that clearly labeled it
contained wheat.

I have had very good luck with the Famous Daves in our area.  Minnetonka, MN
and Brainerd MN.  Each restaurant has a list of all spices, rubs, and sauces
indicating which are Glutin Free, just ask the waitress.  Waitresses also
have a guide indicating which are used on the menu items and you can choose
from that.  I have had the brisket at both locations, ordered without Texas
toast of course and no sauce, then applied my own from

selection on table.   At both locations the manager has even come and

talked to me to assure I was satisfied.  In one instance the toast was
included in the serving and I had to send it back.  They were very sorry and
went out of the way to be sure I had a complete new meal to my satisfaction.
Again this was my experience in 2 Minnesota locations.

I've eaten at Famous Dave's BBQ.  I get the roasted chicken or the chopped
pork without bun.  I do not get the fries because they also serve breaded
foods which are probably cooked in the same fryer.  I wouldn't trust their
BBQ sauce either.  I have gotten a baked potato and coleslaw there too.  The
corn muffin has wheat flour in it so avoid it too.  At times I've picked up
a whole roasted chicken at take out and just added my own salad at home.

I live in Iowa,,,and talked to someone at that resturant,,and because of the
different distributors,,they can't say if their products are GF.  About 3
yrs ago,,,we went with some friends,,,and the Manager knew what I was
talking about,,,,and had a 'dry' piece of baked chicken and a baked
potato,,and I just brought my own dressing,,,I think,,,,,boring to say the
least!  You could double check with a Manager at the resturant,,and see what
he/she knows,,,

I haven't eaten there since being GF but I did love their BBQ sauce and was
disappointed to find out that that it wasn't GF.  They did have a list of GF
for things you could buy of course that wasn't too help!  I did email them
so will let you know what they say.  About a year ago I called and didn't
get much specific information except about the products for sale

I eat at Famous Dave's at least once a month with no problems, I only eat
the ribs and baked potato to be safe. I hope you have good luck eating
there.

I appreciated their GF list of marinades and sauces.  The manager here knew
well what items were not GF.  Madelyn VA

I contacted our local Famous Dave's, explaining what I needed to avoid and
asking him to check what was  put on the meat before roasting, as well as
ingredients to the sauces.  The man was really nice, but when he returned to
the phone, he said - in a southern drawl....."Maam, it would just be best if
you wouldn't try to eat here."

There is virtually nothing GF there.  I spent some time looking at the
ingredients on packages, etc. and found nothing I could eat.

Yes, you can eat there, but the only gluten free offering is the chicken, I
believe. I know this because I have eaten there. The one I went to has a
gluten free list. The BBQ sauces are gluten free, but the rub on the ribs is
not. Can't ask for ribs without the rub because they come that way from the
factory. The one I went to is in Wisconsin Dells, WI. The food is very
tasty.

I was warned about the brisket but ate it anyway and had a reaction. SIGH!

I did go in and speak with the manager who was able to provide me with a GF
menu.  Though some of the items were not available at that particular
location, at least they are aware of celiac.

I'd love to give you a wonderful report, but I always walk out of there with
a headache.  I try to be very careful and order a plain chicken breast and
baked potato.

I have eaten at the one in Frederick MD.  They had a list from headquarters
with what was and wasn't GF.  They do have one BQ sauce that is GF.  Their
meats are all GF and some veggies.  The cornbread was listed as GF, but
wasn't.