From:
norbert1 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 11:05:48 -0600

Dear List-mates:

I would like to thank all of you who mades such great recommendations about
going gf in Germany.  Although we were there for a month, we really didn't
make it out of the country, so I can only relay what I found in Deutschland.
Many members wrote about the Reformhaus, a type of German health food store.
I found them in Ramstein, Landstuhl and Heidelberg.  Because these were
smaller stores, they did not have a huge selection of gf foods, but they
were willing to order whatever I needed.  As  several people mentioned, they
do group all gf foods together, so I didn't have to play hide and seek.
The products that I tried, all Drei Pauly (only on the box it says
3Pauly)were excellent, including corn chocolate, and plain cookies.  They
also make a cracker which did not fall apart and could be used for small
sandwiches  (I used these on the plane).  I have not yet tried a Dr. Schaar
product-    partly cooked dietary gluten free BAGUETTES.  Since these come
from Italy, I am hopeful that I will be able to have a "real" sub or Philly
steak.

Restaurants were my bugaboo-even though I had the GF diet translation.  In
no other place was the language barrier greater.  Since we spent a great
deal of time on the move, I eventually reduced my menu to tea and ice-cream.
Germany does have the greatest ice-cream, but  some places only serve it
seasonally.  All salads seemed to come "dressed" with ???, as did gravies
and sauces.

I really did feel like a "royal pain" when it come to choosing a restaurant,
so more often than not, I denied my hunger, so the rest of the family could
enjoy their schnitzels and beer.  (Don't I sound like a martyr?)   So many
experiences were so great that I didn't want to risk too much downtime.
I also returned with an inordinate amount of "so"s in my speech, but I'm
working on this.  I was also gloriously greeted by a free pan of great
tasting brownies from Menu Direct, which I consumed immediately.
I have no financial interest in the companies I have mentioned, but I do
have an interest in adding their products to my diet.

Thanks again, friends.  Unfortunately I can't respond individually because
of a computer glitch over the last 6 weeks.

Tschusse,
Rose Mary Mueller

llI did get carried away and tried a "Snowballen" in the Black Forest-the
baker said it contained "only" marzipan, rum and pure chocolate.  It tasted
to good to be true--and it was.  On the plus side, I found I could get
"meringuen", pure egg white and sugar, in almost every bakery.  This kept me
from pressing my nose against the window and dreaming of Xmas past when I
could have eaten everything inside.  I had planned to put fruit in the
meringue, but golly folks, it just didn't last until I got back home.  That
old deprivation/depression thing took a back seat here.

 I would be happy to share in more detail if anyone will be going to Germany
soon.  Thanks again to all the great people on the list.