From:
Tamara Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tamara Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2008 17:24:38 -0700

My recent visit to Scottsdale was a dining success!  Thank you to all who provided restaurant suggestions.

- Picazzo's Pizza (www.picazzos.com) - Gourmet pizza, beer, garlic cheese bread, desserts...  All responders said the food is well worth the visit and I certainly agree.  Both the pizza crust and the cheese bread are thick. GF pizza comes only in a medium-sized crust, which is quite filling considering the thickness of the crust. The desserts are purchased from Gluten Free Creations (see below). Picazzo's has a few Arizona locations, plus a new Portland, Oregon location. I ate at the Gainey Village location in Scottsdale. For the sensitive: This is not a GF facility.

- Pie Zano's Kitchen (www.piezanoskitchen.com) - Pizza, beer, brownies... Much more laid-back and less expensive than Picazzo's, but equally good. The pizza comes only in one size, but it is smaller than Picazzo's and much thinner, so you can eat more before you feel full! Both the pizza crust and the brownies are purchased from Gluten Free Creations (see below). Pie Zano's currently has only one location - at 20th and Camelback in Phoenix - but will soon be opening another location on Shea (I didn't catch the cross street). The web site doesn't appear to be updated very frequently, as I don't see the GF products listed on the menu, but they are most definitely on the menu in the restaurant. For the sensitive: This is not a GF facility.

- Gluten Free Creations (www.glutenfreecreations.com).  They sell products at their bakery as well as through a few health foods stores and restaurants.  They bake fresh products Tuesday through Friday. I had a breakfast egg & sausage muffin (they heated it for me so I could eat it there) and a small banana bread. Both were quite tasty! I also picked up a package of the mix for the pizza crust I'd had at Pie Zano's (they also sell frozen pre-made crusts). Their facility is a bit difficult to find, as it is tucked behind a Midas shop at 29th & Thomas in Phoenix.  The facility is entirely GF and they indicate on their ingredients labels whether the products are also free of other allergens.

- I also ate at a great little Mexican restaurant called Loco Patron (www.locopatron.com). They are located on Scottsdale Rd in Downtown Scottsdale. They offer both flour and corn tortillas.  They do not designate whether products are GF, nor did I ask. I ate enchiladas one time and fajitas another, both with corn tortillas, and did not have any problems, but your own gluten tolerance and risk levels will determine whether you should eat here.

- Uncle Bear's Grill and Bar, located in Mesa, serves GF pizza crust and hamburger buns, which I believe come from Gluten Free Creations. I did not have an opportunity to eat there.

Many other dining options are available, including several of the known national chain restaurants.  A list of local and chain restaurants in the area can be found on the web site of the Greater Phoenix Celiac Support Group (www.phoenixceliac.com/PhoenixCeliac_Restaurants.html).  Stores in the area that carry gluten-free foods are also listed (http://www.phoenixceliac.com/PhoenixCeliac_GFShopping.html).

~Tamara in Sacramento, CA