From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 1995 23:50:04 EST

                   TCCSSG PROFILE: Ralph Strongman
                   -------------------------------
                           by Judy Hafner

In our last profile, we looked at celiac disease (CD) in a pre-
schooler.  This time we are at the other end of the age scale, as we
look at CD in one of our group's senior citizens.

Ralph Strongman had symptoms of diarrhea, weight loss, and decreased
energy for years. He saw several doctors who always diagnosed his
problem as IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome).

In January 1993 Ralph left for a sixty day visit with his son in
Hawaii.  While he was there the symptoms escalated.  Ralph states, "I
saw a doctor when I was in Hawaii due to my diarrhea and weakened
condition. This doctor thought I had the flu or IBS and put me on the
antibiotic Cipro for a week along with Metamucil for fiber. My
symptoms worsened.

"When I returned home, I saw my family physician and asked to be
referred to a gastrointestinal doctor, Dr. Duffy.  He agreed and said,
'You'll probably have a few weeks' wait getting into the doctor, why
don't you try eliminating bread between now and then and see if that
helps?'  Although it was only a few weeks until I saw Dr. Duffy, I had
already noticed a lessening of my symptoms.

"Dr. Duffy took the necessary blood tests and then did an intestinal
biopsy.  I was diagnosed with Celiac Sprue Disease.  I joined this
support group right away.  I feel good now."

Contributing Editor's Note:  Having lost approximately 30 lb. over the
past few years, Ralph's weight is now back to normal and he looks much
younger than his 73 years of age.