From:
Mary Bourgrif <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Bourgrif <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 17:49:50 -0500

Last week I posted saying that MI-Del chocolate sandwich cookies (like
Oreos) had changed their allergy warning to include a statement that they
were produced in a facility that uses wheat.  I e-mailed to ask whether this
was caused by a change in the production facility or was a newly-recognized
condition with no actual change in the facility.  Yesterday I received the
following reply:

There has been no change in the facility where MI-DEL is produced.

I received several responses from list members.  Of those who commented on
reactions, three said they or the celiac in their family had had reactions
to this product.  One said they had not.  I never did, and I react to many
"gluten-free" products that others apparently use without problem.

It would be interesting to see what actually goes on in some of these
factories.  They can clean lines between batches, but what if they up-end a
100 lb bag of flour over a near-by hopper every hour or two?  The food
plants I've seen have all been enormous places with many, many production
lines going at once.  Mary B.