From:
Chuck Bolz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 18:50:20 -0800

Jane in Virginia reports a phenomenon that has appeared on this
list before.  She asked a White House representative about the
gluten-free status of their juices, and the rep, taking her quite
literally, responded that a juice contained corn syrup, which
contains gluten.

It is true that corn syrup contains gluten proteins.  But corn
gluten, as I understand it, does not contain the harmful gliadins
of wheat, rye and barley glutens.  That's why cornbread is crumbly.

Perhaps we should ask food processors about the specific ingredients
that are harmful to us, namely wheat, rye, barley spelt, and perhaps
oats.  I think this would reduce misunderstandings.

Chuck Bolz