From:
Susan Crunkleton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Crunkleton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 09:16:07 -0800

My seven-year old niece was having academic problems in school.  Her
parents went in for a meeting and it was suggested that a thyroid profile
be ran before giving her the label of ADD.  While in the pediatrician's
office, my sister-in-law read the article on Celiac Disease in the Parent
magazine and asked that her daughter be tested for Celiac.  Although the
doctor  saw no need for the test, he agreed to do the lab work.  The
results came back positive.  The pediatrician then made his referral to a
gastroenteroligist.  My sister-in-law just got back from the GI visit, very
confused over what he had to say.  After a five minute exam, he determined
that she did not have Celiac.  He diagnosed her with IBS and told her mom
to give her so much mineral oil a day to clean her out.  My niece falls
into the lower 25 percentile in weight and height; has decaying teeth; is
tired a lot; and complains of bones aching.  The GI ruled out Celiac on the
fact that my niece has gained 2 pounds in the
 last few weeks, and that if she were Celiac she would not gain this
weight.  (She was started on the GF diet a few weeks back.)
Could someone please recommend a doctor in the Rhinebeck area who is
familiar with CD.  And, any encouraging words and advice for the mom would
be greatly appreciated.  Her parents are ready to fight for her, but could
use some good, solid advice.
Thanks, Susan