From:
Mary Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 May 2014 22:50:40 -0400

Here is a summary of responses to my question about bagels that is at the
bottom of this message:

A couple of people mentioned Joan's GF bagels- Winner 3 years in a row, 1st
place 2011, 2012, 2013 Best of Long Island Gluten Free
<http://origin.library.constantcontact.com/download/get/file/1102180029520-3
8/BOLI13pt1_JoansGFGr8Bakes+%282%29.pdf>   (sold online or in Whole Foods).
I bet they're good but $9.50 for four bagels is too pricey for me.  And
there's no Whole Foods near here.

One person had ordered Katz online for first time and said "fantastic!  The
real deal!" and another said they've been pleased with Katz products but
didn't specifically mention the bagels.

One person stood by Udi's.  Again, I think Udi's can make a nice sandwich
like a bun, but not like a real bagel.

One person raved about Kinnikinnick bagels and another asked if I'd ever
tried them.  I haven't seen them around here though I had some of the other
products that are available with mixed reviews.  I love the Kinnikinnick
pizza shells.  Shipping on a $50 order is $10.

Another loves bagels made using Pamela's Bread mix and flour blend or her
pizza mix and the recipe on her site.  Makes 7-9 large bagels

If you are in the Philadelphia area, Taffet's Bakery in Philadelphia has the
real deal according to a New Yorker transplanted to Philadelphia who knows
his bagels. www.taffets.com  There is no information about the bagels on the
website except that they are carrying them once again by popular demand.
The other items listed look fantastic.

Katz got enough good press that I took the plunge and placed a $50 order so
I could get free shipping.  I took a leap of faith and ordered 4 packages of
the Everything bagels plus assorted other items.  The order arrived in just
a couple of days.  Most went right into the downstairs freezer except one
pkg of bagels and a pkg of donut holes.  I just finished a sandwich using
one of the bagels.  It is thickly covered with "everything"- poppy seeds,
sesame seeds, onions and garlic and I was pleased that it was pre-sliced.  I
microwaved it for 30 seconds to soften it and it made a terrific sandwich.
At 25% off, the price of a package of 4 was $4.50, or less than half of
Joan's.  They may well be smaller- just checked: a pkg of 4 is 14 oz vs 17
oz for Joan's while Glutino's are almost 21 oz and Kinnikinnick's are only
12.1 oz- big difference in what you get for $6 ( or $9.50 in the case of
Joan's).  So, Glutino and Katz (I don't count Udi's) are the only two bagels
I can personally compare, and I have to say that I enjoyed the Katz bagel
more than Glutino's.  It may have been a blessing in disguise that my local
Wegman's stopped carrying them!

Btw the Katz cinnamon donut holes are delightful- they taste like a raised
yeast donut that I haven't had since going gf.  Only trouble is that they
disappear too darn fast!

Thanks to all who replied.

Mary in upstate NY

Original question:

Has anyone had Katz bagels and how do they compare with Glutino?  Glutino
bagels are the most like real bagels of any I've had but they are not
carried by any local stores anymore.  Katz' bagels are on sale right now and
Glutino bagels are already more expensive online before Katz sale price.
Udi's and other bagels are alright but more like soft buns with a hole in
the middle and not really bagels.  Are Katz the real deal?  Thanks-

Mary in upstate NY

*******
*******