From:
Jane Ehrenfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 1997 15:22:38 -0400

NOW Foods Xanthan Gum
Distributed by NOW Foods, Glendale Hts., IL 60139/Tel. # (630)545-9000

This product is grown on barley!!!

On 5/19/97, at 5:15 p.m.EDT, I spoke with a company representative to
ascertain the GF status of this product.  The label states this xanthan
gum is "...100% pure and contains no sugar, salt, starch, yeast, wheat,
corn, soy or milk."  When I asked whether it contains oats, barley or rye,
I was told that it did not.  The label also states that "Xanthan Gum is
produced by the pure culture fermentation of the miroorganis, Xanthomonas
campestris, to yield a type of gel fiber similar to guar gum."  When I
asked what this pure culture fermentation is grown on, I was told (after a
brief delay while the company rep checked the information) that it was
grown on barley.  Unfortunately, I did not have the presence of mind to
get this gentleman's name.  I thought that this information might be of
general interest.

Jane (in VA)