From:
Laura Johnson-Kelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 May 1995 11:23:55 -0500

Lisa,
I am at work now and don't have my recipe files here,but I have found that
cookies are THE easiest things to make gluten-free.  Every cookie recipe I
have tried, substituting equal parts rice or soy/rice four combinations, has
come out fine, though perhaps a bit crumbly.  Brownies from scratch, using
rice flour in an ordinary recipe, are even better than wheat flour brownies,
and easy, too.  You could make almost any cookie recipe dairy free by using
shortening in place of margarine or butter.  I notice from your other posts
that you apparently don't have Bette Hagman's Gluten-Free Gourmet book.  It
is really an essential thing to have, for all the basics it has in it, and
is well worth the $10-$15 cost, even if you are living on a shoestring.  It
also has a pretty thorough list of the hidden glutens, which helps following
the diet.

Good luck!
Laura
Ithaca, NY, USA