From:
Patricia Onstott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 09:14:24 -0500

Hello all:

I called the customer service toll free number for Pace Picante and
asked about the source of the vinegar ingredient.  She asked if I was
calling with Celiac Sprue reasons; I answered yes.  She read me a
letter from the manufacturer which basically said that the vinegar
was processed from an alcohol from a mash containing corn and wheat,
but the glutens had been removed from the wheat during process.  I
asked if this was just via regular distillation.  She  read the me
the letter from the manufacturer for which the subject was "concerns
for persons with gluten intolerance and wheat sensitivity".

I didn't get a specific answer about the removal of glutens from the
wheat before the alcohol was made.  Use your own judgement as to
whether Pace Picante is safe or not.

I would like to know if any of you have had bad reactions to eating
this product.  I will post a summary of replies to the List.     Pat