From:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2008 20:29:43 -0400

For those who asked for the summary of answers on low-effort fattening
food for a wheat and/or gluten intolerant friend of mine, here's Part
II:

She may also by hyperthyroid (Graves’ disease is common in celiacs). …
if her metabolism is too fast, she's going to feel badly and won't be
able to put on weight. Also, it's very hard on the heart. If she's
been tested before, she probably only got a TSH test. That only tells
what the pituitary gland is up to, she should get a full thyroid panel
with free T3 and free T4 tests to check for hormone levels.

Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods and Fairways in New York City all have
gluten-free sections.

Use unrefined coconut oil as cooking oil and /or mix in with cooked
rice.  It's helped me and packs lots of flavor, might even get her to
try it w/ brown rice.  I toast cashews and mix in w/ rice and coconut
oil to make quick biryani type rice(raisins optional) I cannot
tolerate dried fruits but am okay w/ nuts. I realize nuts might be
hard for awhile yet.  Perhaps if she soaked them overnight as you
would almond for babies to make almond milk; this would help w/
digestibility.  Lots of fats, including the good ones, and lots of
calories in coconut despite the bad rap its gotten in some circles.

The nutritionist for our daughter upon diagnosis recommended putting
real butter every where you could and using dips with as much as you
could... Yogurt, gluten free ranch, guacomole, sour cream, cheese
sauces,  even whipped cream, salsa both regular with tomatoes and
fruit types, real maple syrup, jams, jellies, ketchup, bbq sauce...
These all add calories to the food you are eating which is important
at the beginning! If dairy bothers her or fat, soy alternatives exist
for a lot.

Yobaby yogurt is gluten free and higher calorie than regular yogurt.

Enjoy Life cookies are good with fiber protein and calories... Gluten,
nut and dairy free!

The Roben Ryberg book has good, inexpensive recipes.  I like the
biscuit recipe.

The Gluten-Free Kitchen: Over 135 Delicious Recipes for People with
Gluten Intolerance or Wheat Allergyby Roben Ryberg

Meat!  Hot dogs, bacon, pan fry any steak.  Even dark chicken meat.

Eggs - scrambled, in butter, with cheese!  Egg salad, with mayo.

Frying with butter, like grilled cheese. Healthier:  frying/sauting/
roasting with olive oil.  Eating salads with oily dressing. Peanut/
peanut butter.

String cheese is a lifesaver for me when I'm not at home, as are
peanuts.  I get the ones marked Lightly Salted, because the others are
too spicy or greasy. Walnuts are high nutrition and high calorie.

Mini pizzas made on small corn tortillas.  Brush the tortillas with a
bit of olive oil, then spread  tomato sauce, sliced peppers,
mushrooms, pepperoni (could use sausage or hamburger, chicken,
turkey. . . whatever) and then grated mozzarella cheese.  Can make
large batches in the toaster oven, 6 per cookie sheet.  If the corn
tortillas are too tough on one's stomach, I also use a cooked rice
pizza crust recipe.  It uses cheese and eggs as binders.  But is a bit
more work.  These corn tortillas also come in 'white corn' and can be
used as sandwich wraps with whatever filling you want.

Pancakes are simple to make and with syrup are fattening and our local
supermarkets carry Van's waffles. I am sure that Whole Foods does
also.  Some people who do not like GF bread eat them in place of bread
in their sandwiches.

*******
*******