From:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 1998 13:07:52 -0800

Hi Everybody,

I have received more replies on cows which were very helpful!

****
My wife is sensitive to beef fat.  General feeling of being unwell, plus
diarrhea.  She has been on the diet since 1993.  Lean beef seems to be
agreeable.  90% lean hamburg, lean roasts and steaks.  She trims off any
visible fat before cooking. She alternates between fish, poultry, beef, and
lean pork (pork fat is also a problem). She also has sensitivities to a
variety of other foods, such as raw carrots, tea, citrus, spices, sugar,
dairy.  Symptoms to these may include itchiness, rash, joint pains, etc.
She senses that an accidental gluten ingestion, while it may include some or
all or more than the above symptoms, also tends to include a chracteristic
headache.  I suspect symptoms vary a lot between people.  My son (age 25),
also celiac, appears to get a boost from lean beef.

I think there is a potential for gluten contamination in store-ground
hamburg, which my wife suspects happened once to her.

****
Susan,  I've just been reading the responses from all those who wish they
could eat wild game.  My daughter-in-law is from a farming family and the
farm is having a dreadful time with deer eating everything.  When hunting
season comes along they send out all available family members to kill as
many deer as possible, yet they can't eat all that venison.  Some goes to
nursing homes, etc.  How about contacting farmers and trying to work
something out about buying venison from them.  It would have to be a swap,
as one cannot hunt with intent to sell, but I'm sure something could be
done on a one to one basis.  Worth thinking about.  GK

****
All herbivorous animals are grain fed, in that they eat grasses
and their seeds, and these contain gluten.  Feedlot animals are
fattened by the addition of things such as corn and soybeans to
their diet, and these do not contain gluten.  So, to the extent
that free-range animals eat more grasses than feedlot animals,
they also consume more gluten, since the protein is in the grass
seeds.

In any case, I can't think of any way in which dietary gluten
could be incorporated (as gluten) into the muscle tissues of
cattle.  Perhaps the meat you are eating has been in contact with
gluten in some other way.

****
My husband went to the Dr. for a stye in his eye and the Dr. discovered his
blood pressure was dangerously high. He was instructed to lose 80 lbs, cut
fat out of his diet  and exercise. They gave him a med too.  In going
fat-free he found how much better he felt.  He had tried the g-f diet
before to no avail.  Many things made him sick, but bread was certainly NOT
one of them.  Everything seemed just fine once we read labels - fat free
cream cheese, mozzarella, breads and pretzels, little red meat, no oils,
etc. The weight began to fall off too.  Our celiac is 9 years old.  Don't
know if this will help you, but it sure solved a 20 year old mystery in our
house.

****
I do feel much better eating meat.  However, I am not sure if it is the
protein, or the fact that I no longer eat gluten or corn products.  Lucky me,
I am also allergic to corn.  I find that avoiding corn is even harder than
avoiding wheat and other offending grains.

My only piece of advice is go really easy.  I found that I need more protein
than I thought to feel good, but not everyone is the same.  Dr. A'damo has a
book out that looks at diets based on blood types.  I am O positive, and he
states that since O type blood is the oldest blood, they should eat more
protein and avoid wheat and corn.  Very interesting - found that out on my
own!!!

****
muscle is a closed system; foods (and anything else, like vitamins,
minerals, drugs) eaten do not accumulate in muscle tissue--these
substances do accumulate in joints (calcium) and in the liver (where
toxins, etc.) are removed. The muscle metabolic cycle is extremely
complicated, but you cannot be getting gluten from a muscle source
unless gluten is intentionally added postmortem (as in breading or
coating with a wheat flour batter).

(I worked in meat research for Ag Canada and Texas A&M University for 10
years . . . .)

Good luck and keep eating meat (we do need the protein, more so the B
vitamins and the essential amino & fatty acids!

****

Thank you all for the great replies.

All the best,
Susan