From:
Beth Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 10:00:45 -0500

Thanks so much to everyone who responded to my question about salt.  It
seemed like a silly question when I asked it, but apparently one that
needed answering, as I have gotten many responses asking for a summary so
they too can learn.  Here goes...Thanks again!
Beth in CT

-In case no one has answered you yet, persons with DH react to iodine, so the
iodized salt gives them trouble.  Otherwise, it is no problem for celiacs in
general.

-Salt is pretty much the same and is gf until you start adding
other things like seasoning salt which can be questionable.  It's just that
sea salt is coarser.  Iodized salt contains iodine but that's gf.   Not
to worry.

-I stick to kosher salt after finding that the regular salt I was using had
dextrose in it and I feel better to avoid it.  I am corn sensitive and I assume
the dextrose most likely was from a corn base.

I also reacted with skin sensitivity and other problems to sea salt.  I
assumetoo much iodine.

-Iodine tends to cause DH symptoms to flare up.  DH is of course the skin rashes
associated with Celiac Disease.  I'm not certain if it has the same effect on
Celiacs that do not exhibit (DH)Dermatitis Herpetaformis.

-For those who have DH, iodine can be a problem.  Iodine works against the
medications that inhibit the DH outbreaks.  Iodine dose not in it's self damage
the patient but it can bring on a DH outbreake in a DH patient.  In regard to
sea salt, I believe it has more minerials and is there for believed to be better
for you.  I have DH and therefor do not use iodinized salt.  I also avoid sea
salt because of the iodine which is presant in anything to do with sea water.

-I started using sea salt at the recommendations of cooking shows on TV.  Cooks
say it brings out flavor better.  I don't worry about the iodine.  I get it in
other stuff.

-I think that sea salt is minimally processed from sea water.  It probably has
nothing added in the manufacturing process as regular salt may have.

-I think that people with DH ned to avoid iodized salt as it contributes
to flare-ups.  Sea salt would not have added iodine.  Although I do not
have DH, i use only sea salt because of it's purity.

-As I understand it, the problem is Iodine.  It can cause a reaction in
some gluten intolerant people and in fact was used on a patch test to
diagnose DH.

I asked my dermatologist about it and she said that the amount of iodine
that one would normally consume via salt is considerably less than was
ever used in the patch tests of old and PROBABLY would not cause any
problems.

-Do you have DH?  If so Iodized salt is not recommended.    If you have
Celiac only you will have no problem with salt.

-People with DH need to avoid iodine and iodized salt; I don't know if
other celiacs need to worry about it (I never have, but if there's a
reason I should, I'd sure like to know!). As for sea salt, it does
contain some trace minerals and perhaps other trace nutrients which
may be valuable. Cooks like to use it, or kosher salt, as these salts
are often coarser and have more flavor than regular fine salt, and so
less is needed.

-For those of us with DH sea salt, nori, and iodized salt will trigger the
blisters and Dr. Zone in Utah has those on the "no" list for celiacs.