From:
Betty Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2001 11:57:15 EDT

We had an outstanding response on our question about a beer that celiacs can
drink.  The majority of you stated that there was no beer that celiacs can
drink and cautioned trying to find one that "might" be GF.

Several others indicated that they, too, miss an occasional beer and hoped we
could find a suitable substitute for the "real thing."

Among the suggestions for substitutes are:

1) Woodchuck Hard Ciders (4):  we are in process of trying to find out the
distributors in NE Ohio.  There web site is www.woodchuck.com.

2) one of you mentioned Spice Mountain Dark 'n Dry Cider

3) two of you cited the Mexican beer, Negro Modelo, which is not entirely GF,
but caused few problems.

4) another mentioned "cold-filtered" beer with low GF content.  No brand
names mentioned.

5) another industrious respondent has contacted a regional Mensa group and
has them looking into the problem!

6) 3 of you mentioned brewing your own with buckwheat.  My gastroenterologist
has told me not to use buckwheat in any form (specific to me, not to celiacs
in general), so we did not take any recipes.  If any of you are interested in
the recipes and the complicated manner in which to brew the "beer," I am
certain the recipes can be obtained from those who wrote to us.

Thanks again to all.  It was reassuring to know that I am not the only one
missing that occasional beer.

Carl in Ohio