From:
Rebecca markle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 09:32:19 -0600

About 6 weeks ago, I started taking celiac info to the Govenor's regional
office here in Erie, PA.I took a mix of published research and downloads
from the internet.  These downloads included some info from Don Wiss' page,
and a couple first person stories about the nightmare of getting a correct
diagnose.

Those people in the gov's office were really very receptive!
Amazing....you'd think they were there to serve the people or something...

I presented it as a public health issue...something that impacts on the
cost of health care in PA.

In return,  Gov. Ridge's office shared this with our local federal
congressman.

I'm wondering if the folks in PA who are somewhat close to their regional
offices would like to take the time to share their stories?  If you ask to
route it to the Erie office, at least  our experiences can be collected at
a single point.  In fact, your state reps can route it to the Erie office
also.

What can our state governments do for us?  Maybe not as much as Federal,
but let's at least approach this as giving them a "head up". Let's start
here, and see if we can establish a friendly relationship where
they know us.

A hint:  Recently I was at the meeting of the Gluten Free Gang in Columbus,
OH.  Dr. Fasano's article, "Where Have All The American Celiacs Gone" was
included in the packet, and I found that very helpful in making my point
that CD is not uncommon.

Let me know if you do this...we need a clear focus on what we want?
Greater ease in setting up screenings?  Financial help from the state to
establish a research  center?

The Bec
Erie, PA