From:
Tracey & Jr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tracey & Jr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Apr 2005 17:13:15 -0400

Several folks have expressed interest in gluten-free spices.  I'm not a GF
expert, but i am a spice lover.  Recently, I emailed Penzeys Spice Co to
check the GF status of their Taco Seasoning, as well as a specific list of
about 50 other seasoning.  I received an email from John P. Tillison of
Penzey's in late March, and this is part of his response:

 "Regarding your concerns about gluten in our products:  The allergen
statement you read  [for Taco Seasoning] was issued last year.  Shortly
thereafter we reformulated the taco seasoning removing the MSG and the wheat
flour.  We did this for flavoring reasons and not to make it gluten free.
It just worked out that way.   We decided to leave the allergen statement as
it was for about a year to make sure all of the old version of that
seasoning worked through our system.  If it does not have wheat flour on the
label then it is the new version. "

 " The upshot of this is that now I can say that all of the products we
produce here are gluten free.  Remember, these spices come from all over the
world and we have little control of what happens in the long journey.  We do
our best to buy the best and there is no logical reason for gluten to be
introduced into these items for any reason.  So the list you gave me,
including the new items, are and will be fine for your consumption.  Please
note that the soup bases do contain ingredients that may have gluten but
they are produced off site.  The only wheat flour that we have in this
building is in our lunchroom kitchen. "

In second email, Mr. Tillison also noted that the vanilla extract is made
with alcohol from corn, so it should be ok too.   Also, there is no flour
dusting on their conveyor belts, and all spice mixes have complete
disclosure ingredient lists.  I have no financial interest in Penzey's, just
a 15+ years loyal customer. The company has some wonderful spice mixes, and
i particularly like the sandwich sprinkle for the blandness of some rice
bread.  The salad dressing/dip mixes are also good.  The only drawback is
that the best deals are for bulk purchases; i get around this by splitting
orders (and cost) with friends.  Some Penzey's items that folks on the list
asked about are taco seasoning, salad dressing (ranch), hot chocolate,
cocoa, wasabi.  www.penzeys.com  if anyone wants the specific list i sent
Mr. Tillison, just email me.
Of course, as always, check for yourself when in doubt.

tracey in southern maryland