From:
Patricia Heidt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patricia Heidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Sep 2008 12:33:33 -0400

As a long time Celiac (20 years) I learned a few things along the way.  One
very mportnt issue concerns meds.  Because I had been taking a med for a
long time that didn't include gluten listed on the package ingredients (because
it constituted less than 2% by volume, at the time), I developed cancer.  My
lesson learned for me, and advice I'd pass to you, is to have all of my meds
compounded at a local pharmacy. That way he and I know exactly what goes
in to the med.  Certain meds he calls and confirms with the pharmaceutical
company that they are GF, but any that he can't be sure of or are unavailable
otherwise, he makes at the pharmacy.  I don't think they cost much more, if
at all but I would strongly suggest confirming that your meds are GF and
consider a compounding pharmacy if necessary.
________
I found that Walgreens was prepared to order from any pharmacy --- it takes
a few days to get it, but they have been very understanding of my celiac
issues.  One of the pharmacists has helped me research drugs a number of
times.
___________
I use Medco (mail order pharmacy) and the Propanolol I receive is made by
Actavis.  They have a flag on my file and always check the gf status.

	(That raises a big question since Actavis told me that the cellulose is
sometimes made of wheat and sometimes of corn.  The 80 mg capsule I was
taking was definitely not gluten free.)
____________
me with the info I needed....
Major companies usually have someone on staff who can reply immediately. I
did run into trouble when I was given a prescription for a face cream for
rosacea....Finacea. The problem is was imported from Germany and the
importers have no information.

My pharmacist tried to make some calls for me, and she was put on hold and
disconnected several times. I went home and spent several hours getting the
same nonsense.

But my husband and I have reached the age where if we don't get
satisfaction, we do some research and contact the CEO. CEO's like problems
to go away. They'll typically delegate someone to fix them. Turns out the
importer was a major company....I think Bayer, and eventually, I got the name
of the skin expert at a facility in the U.S. (only a few miles from my house in
NJ!!!!) and she confirmed that it was gluten-free.

I wrote to the CEO. I wrote to the German importer.  Supposedly, the
telephone operator got reprimanded or fired, because had she connected me
with the expert in the first place, it would have been a done deal. My main
argument was that it took me the better part of a day or two to get a medical
question answered....What if it was a severe allergic reaction.....