From:
Teresa S <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 13:11:27 -0400

With apologies for the delay in posting this summary, I wish to extend
thanks to all who responded to my request for baking help with my son's
birthday cake.  I heard from about a dozen helpful people with good advice.
One person said that she, too, had  baked goods "sweat", even when they are
in the freezer, and was interested in any suggestions I might receive.  Here
they are:

Keep all baked goods in the fridge - wrap well or seal well before doing
this.

Two people pointed out that high altitude can pose a problem for baking.
Both said they add about 2 tbsp of flour (for a 2-layer or 9" x 13" cake).
It was also suggested that adjusting the baking time and temperature might
help.

Four people suggested freezing the cake, either decorated, or undecorated:
"Do not thaw it ahead of time. Then frost in morning and 1-2 hours later its
perfect because the frosting keeps the moisture in after it's thawed"
"when I'm ready to decorate, I take them out, and frost and decorate them
while still frozen the night before or the morning of the party.  I find
that it is easier to spread the frosting on the cake while it is frozen (it
holds together better), and the moisture is sealed in the cake when it
defrosts."

Another person pointed out that gluten free baked goods don't keep very good
or long, and suggested cutting into serving sizes before freezing, then only
taking out what you need.

As for the sticky tops, several people said that covering baked goods before
they are completely cool can lead to sweating and sticky tops.  To prevent
dryness, someone suggested adding an extra egg (unfortunately, we are also
dealing with an egg allergy, which I'm sure contributes to my problem, but
this may help others).

There were two suggestions for how to cover the cake: either frost the cake
and cover with plastic wrap, or tent loosely with foil.  For wrapping
cookies, there was a suggestion to wrap in a dish towel (after they are
completely cool) and then put them into a tight container.  Another
suggestion for cookies:  "For cookies, chocolate chip, especially, I put a
slice of bread (gluten free, of course!)  in the container with the cookies.
This keeps the entire cookie moist. You also may want to try freezing
batches and microwaving a serving of cookies at a time instead of keeping
them on a counter in the container."

Several people sent recipes (thanks!) and suggestions for things that have
worked for them: "Try the surprise chocolate cake in the Betty Hagman's
recipe book, it is made  with lentils, its great and no one can tell its not
wheat!!  It keeps just fine for a week, stored in a covered aluminum 11 x 13
pan."  "I do have good luck with my children eating chocolate chip muffins,
uniced even made from bean flour.  I just use Authentic Foods regular muffin
recipe from Garvabean flour, add mini chocolate chips and voila."

Because the birthday party was at 10 am, I made the cake late in the
afternoon the day before, let it cool for several hours, then frosted it.  I
covered it with foil (although not tightly), and when served the next
morning I received many compliments. I think the frosting really helped keep
it from drying out.

Thanks again to all who wrote.

Teresa Stinneford