From:
Raymond Dmochowski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Raymond Dmochowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 17:27:45 -0400

We just had a prescription filled for Ambien 10 mg. at our local
CVS pharmacy.  When we questioned the pharmacist about the g-f status
of the prescription, he checked the manufacturer's paperwork only
to find that the binder was simply listed as starch.

In fairness to the pharmacist, he advised that this batch of Ambien
was manufactured by Sanofi-Synthelabo Inc. and he gave me their
toll-free telephone number (800-223-1062) to contact their product
information people.

My call to Sanofi got me directed to their medical information number
(800-446-6267).  Sanofi advised that they normally use N.F. (National
Formulary) starch, but have special batches made with potato starch.
I was told that manufacturing lots ending with the letter "B" designate
the g-f batches.

Obviously, my pharmacist wasn't aware of the difference, but DID have a
g-f batch in stock, and was happy to exchange my original prescription
for one from his g-f batch.

Based on this experience, I requested that the pharmacist annotate my
records concerning my allergy and about this prescription specifically,
although Ambien is generally considered a short-term therapy.