From:
Mark S. Connely <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 16:12:59 EST

I will be brief as the summary gives more information than i do. It
seems that rib pain is a very common symptom of cd the following are the
most common type of answers i got thanks mark
ps Thanks for the answers everyone i ended up with over 100 replys most
thankfully short and for those that bawled me out for eating gluten,
Honestly ,I dont do it on purpose

Here is the summary:
1
Regarding referred pain, I AWAYS get lower right abdominal pain for about 24
hours after I accidently ingest gluten.
2
Left side, under the rib cage...sounds just like yours...
3
Hi Mark,  I get pain on my lower right side when I
have an accidental ingestion.
4
Like you, I have the pain in my lower left side.  Sometimes it moves to the
center of my stomach.
5
When I have accidentally gotten gluten, my pain is right around the
belly button area and my stomach will make lots of noise like it is
talking to me and telling me to be more careful what I eat :)
6
Hi Mark:  My mess-up sign:
Rib ache on the left side like yours)
7
When I have eaten gluten, either aware or unaware, I will get a pain on
my lower right side and right below my waist.  My gastro doctor told me
that your lower intestine runs along right below your waist and along
the right hand side and that's the reason for the pain.
8
Interesting question, Mark.  I have a spot about where my appendix is,
and another on the right side just under the bottom rib.  I have not
paid enough attention to figure out what foods cause which pain.  It is
all very minimal and not even enough to bother with an aspirin, but it
is a fact.  GK
9
Hi Mark,My right side just beneath my rib cage hurts after accidentally
ingesting gluten.  I also had the pins and needles sensation at this
same place, prior to being diagnosed with celiac sprue.
I look forward to your summary.
10
Now that you mention it, I do it a strange pain down by the bottom rib
on the left, front.  I also get one sometimes right under the bottom tip
of the breastbone.  They never amount to anything and I ignore them.
11
Mark, I have those after a touch of gluten. Usually right where yours
are: at the lower rib on the left side. They are gas pains with me. A
bubble gets trapped in a kink of the intestine and hurts. I take GasX
gell caps and it goes away after an hour or so.
12
Mark, Abdomen bottom right. About 2 and half inches on the diagonal
from my right hip. Apparently exactly the right spot for Crohn's which I
definitely do not have.
13
Now that you mention it, for no reason on a occaision I will get a
"stitch" in my side. The same kind you get if you've been running but in
my case I can be when I'm just laying on the couch. However, it does not
necessarily happen when I've eaten something bad...it just happens and I
cannot figure it out!!!...I'm glad to know I'm not the only one!!
14
For years I would get a pain - or perhaps more accurately, a sensation -
in my lower left side after eating. It was unpleasant, almost like
feeling sick, but not exactly the same - if that conveys anything. I
became so used to it, I almost forgot about it. Until about three years
ago when I discovered my guten intolerance, and went on a GF diet. A by-
product of that was that that sensation completely disappeared.
15
I have periodic episodes of terrible, underthe rib pain in the middle
and on the left side (usually in the middle of the night after a large
meal,commonly beef, potatoes, etc. and espec. if followed by a dessert).
These are long (hours) painful episodes.  The pain extends up into my
back just below the shoulder blades.  Dr. thought it was an ulcer but
since I've learned about celiac induced duodenitis, which is
inflammation of the duodenum.  That's what I think causes it.  Wierd
thing is that when the pain begins to subside, I end up with soreness on
the mid and right side.Prilosec helps.
16
I wanted to respond to your questions about certain pain.  I do have an
area about 2 inches above my belly button that I have learned is an
indicator that I have eaten something I shouldn't have.  Hope this
helps.
17
Myself, I believe pain refers faster than most employment offices.
Something aches, you tense a muscle or don't move around normally, or
move too much, and the next thing you know the neighboring muscle starts
griping louder than the original troublemaker.  I've had it with
CD,tooth extraction, etc.
18
Before I went gf, many years ago I would get a sharp severe ache/pain on
my lower left abdomen.  I was only 18 at the time, and had x-rays and
ultrasounds, but nothing showed up, and it gradually subsided into a
nagging pain once in a while.  I have only been gf for 7 months, and
have not associated this pain with any gluten accidents - yet.  Now and
then I do get what I believe to be indigestion pains.
19
I used to feel lower abdominal pain - like glass in my stomach.
Sometimes it was just on the left side.
20
Funny that you should write now.  Just yesterday I had trouble all day
with a pain in my lower left rib cage.  It actually started the evening
before, but I felt bad all day yesterday.  I had had problems with that
pain in the chest before, but not for quite some time...and NEVER
associated it with CD.  I am one of those celiacs who doesn't have any
symptoms that tell me when I have ingested gluten...of course, now I am
wondering if I had a symptom (the rib pain) all along and just didn't
make the connection!
21
My husband was just diagnosed in November.  He also has rib pain on his
left side when he "messes up".  This is where the pain started that sent
us to the doctor in the first place.  He says that within 20 minutes of
eating something with gluten, it starts to hurt.
22
I had for three years pain in my upper abdomen area which moved around a
bit plus swelling of the stomach. But because it was so high my doctor
ruled out Celiacs disease. At one stage, about two years ago, the pain
became so bad that I was hospitalised for two weeks. The pain never went
away and I just started avoiding foods which gave the most violent
reactions. In the end I was finding it very hard to eat anything so the
doctor after testing me for everything else (x-rays, cat scans, numerous
blood test, ultrasound, gasocrophy), tested me for Celiacs last
December. Surprise surprise I came up positive. Ever since then the pain
in the abdomen has only come back when I have accidentally eaten gluten.
I'd be interested in knowing how many other people have had similar
experiences because my Doctor said that my symptoms for Celiacs was
unusual.
23
Hi Mark.  I was biopsy diagnosed in December 98.  If I inadvertantly
ingest gluten, I get a pain under my right ribs (just where I think the
duodenum is) after about 1/2 hour.  Lasts about 3 days.  Not unbearable.
I think I like that this happens so I know what foods to be suspicious
of.   Hope you'll share a summary of your responses.
24
This doesn't directly acnser your question, but at least it mentions
referred pain.
From:    "Joe Murray, M.D."
Subject: Re: CELIAC Disease and back pain
Not medical advice
There are many possible connections between back pain and celiac
disease.The most likely problem relates to osteoporosis and shortening
of the spinal column. Another possibility is the weakening of the back
muscles due to malnutrition and loss of muscle mass or calcium and
magnesium deficiency leading to weakness. Each of these can lead to poor
posture which further leads to pain. Osteomalacia (due to Vit D def) is
a specific type of bone problem that leads to weak bones.
Another cause of back pain is referred pain from the small intestine to
the back. These are just some of the causes of back pain in association
with celiac disease.
==============
Celiac disease is reported as frequently associated with lower back
degeneration and pain in the following:
Usai, et. al. "Adult Celiac Disease Is Frequently Associated with
Sacroilitis" _Digestive Diseases and Sciences_ 1995; 40(9): 1906-1908
===============
For more on celiac disease this page is a list of annotated links to sites
on the Net:
  The Gluten-Free Page:  http://www.GFlinks.com/
25
I too, have always had the nagging pain in my upper right stomach.  It
feels likesomeone in there pushing to get out.  I don't have it all the
time, only when Ihave accidently ingested gluten.  It's always my sign.
My daughter has CD and has exactly the same problem. I can say that
Zantac 75 has been my life saver.  Whenthe pain starts I pop a Zantac
and within 15 min. the pain is gone. I know it is ahistamine blocker, so
maybe the pain has something to do with undigested food sittin in there
fermenting or something.  This is such a complex disease.  I readmy list
everyday to find so many helpful things.  Good Luck and maybe try the
Zantac (it's listed as GF on my list), it may help.
26
Mark, I have "referred pain" low on my right side, where I am told the
small bowel and intestine connect. It is always there, very violent pain
when I "mess up" as you call it! Will be interested in your summary.
27
I had such a pain on my left side.  In fact I told the radiologist about
it when I went for back-up tests after 3 years gf.  He told me it was
because my intestine was high and twisted a bit there which caused the
pain .There was no sign of villi abuse.
I really don't know if I believe that.  I was fully convined the pain
was my only sign of ingesting gluten.  I am very interested in your findings.
28
It is odd that you would be asking this question at exactly the same
time that I am just recovering from that very experience. I did not have
a gluten reaction. Rather it was from some tapioca pudding I was making
and sampling. I immediately got stomach spasms which moved upward and
lodged under my left rib cage and into my upper arm and shoulder. I had
intense, severe pain for the next 40 hours straight. I knew it was food-
related, although I am not allergic to tapioca. Nothing helped the pain
and it eventually went away this morning as mysteriously as it came.
This is the first, and hopefully will be the last time I have this
experience. It was horrible. I think I do have a weakened area right
where the pain struck. I have no idea why or what happened. If you could
summarize and/or tell me what helps you when you have such an attack, I
would be very appreciative and grateful......
29
I'm new to this whole thing (diagnosed on 9/14/99) but the aches in the
lower bdomen were with me for several years until the diagnosis, and
they are still with me but areon the wain. I get the abdominal pain on
BOTH sides of the lower abdomen, almost resembling charley-horses or
cramps, and get them whenever I twist or turn around, usually in the
car....The strangest thing though....My GNT had me taking Metamucil
twice a day thinking that it would help with the irregularity I
guess..... but after I switched to taking Flax Seed once a day in place
of the Metamucil, My abdominal swelling (and most of the cramping) have
almost completely gone away! The only thing I can think of is that the
citric acid in the Metamucil is not clean!  Take care....and if you hear
anything else on this vein, pls drop me a line!
30
Yes, I have had pains under my left ribcage and I had them constantly
before I was diagnosed. Most of my diet consisted of wheat. I have not
had the pains but maybe once or twice since then. If I consume gluten I
usually get a sick stomach.
31
Mine is in the middle, slightly to the right. Also I get a bad one under
the right shoulderblade. Ive been told that may be referred from my
gallbladder, but it may be celiac related, because it flares up bad with
mistakes.
32
Hi, I am 18 years old and I've been on the diet for about two months.  I
have pains after I mess up and accidentally indigest gluten.  Mine is
more in the upper part of my stomach, right under my chest, and it has a
terrible pain and it buldges out.  I also have like an eating away
feeling at my stomach anytime I eat gluten...I don't know what that
is...do u know if anyone else gets these?
33
Whenever I eat gluten I always have pain in my lower abdomen, on the left.