From:
Cindy Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 10:32:08 EST

I posed the question after becoming sick this weekend..."Does dental floss
contain gluten?" and  "Are there gluten concerns when having fillings
replaced?"

In summary, I received many responses stating they too have always become
ill, never quite knowing what to blame.  I called the company that makes the
floss that the dentist used on me.  (I did bring my Toms of Maine toothpaste
and mouthwash.  She used no products of hers except the floss and
non-powdered gloves.)  The company actually responded with "gluten comes from
animal and we do not use animal in our products".  I don't have to go into
detail with my response to her...anyway, she called back with ingredients:
nylon, mint from mint leaves.  That's not good enough...how is the mint
adhered to the nylon?  Her response...maybe I should use plain floss.

You bet I'll use plain floss and it won't be Henry Shine floss.
Some thoughtful mail from you:

**It appears that many kinds of dental floss do contain traces of gluten.
The only one I know of that is GF is Tom's of Maine.**

**Yes, floss is a concern.  I do ok with Jonson & Johnson's "Reach woven
floss w/ floride."  I called the company (800# on packaging) and they said
that their product is considered gf, but they do not guarantee their vendors'
ingrediants are 100% gf.**

**After two visits, I realized that the polishing compound used by the
hygientists had to be the cause of problems. Sure enough, on the third visit,
I asked that it not be used and I was fine.**

**A while back I asked about filling material on this listing and was told
that
there should be no problem with it.**

I have yet to investigate the products that are used in dental fillings.
Once my dentist lists those names & numbers for me, I will be calling and
will give this list a summary.  ~Cindy