Date:
Sun, 12 May 1996 12:16:07 -0700

Well, I just got the results of my blood tests back. It seems that in
spite of all the celiac symptoms I have had for years, I have less than a
2% chance of being a celiac. Turns out that I am allergic to grains and
am also lactose intolerant. Naturally I am pleased that I am not celiac.
But my research on celiac and my brief tenure on this list has certainly
left me with a profound empathy for those who do have the disease: I have
learned to admire your bravery and stoic coping; I am overwhelmed by the
business-like courage of some of the mothers of celiacs. A happy mother's
day to you all. Celiacs need a good activist press agent! Look at what
it's done for AIDS victims, and there are far more of you than of them.

My grain allergy, it seems, demands a diet much like that of a
celiac--though perhaps not quite as rigid. My understanding is that
gluten accidents are not as serious or as cumulative for my situation as
for a celiac, and certainly my reactions not nearly as violent as some I
have seen on this list. I have certainly learned a lot of tricks from
this discussion group that will be relevant to my situation: I thank you.

As of now I don't really know much about the difference between grain
allergies and celiac, except for the fact that the allergy is not nearly
as serious and not accompanied by near as many other maladies--though it
is certainly heir to some of them. I may lurk on this list to learn some
more if no one objects. If anyone out there knows anything about such
allergies (lactose intolerance also), I'd certainly be interested in
hearing from them off list.  There seems to be far more literature about
celiac than about my situation. Though it appears that the lactose
intolerance is well covered.

I wonder if those pills for lactose intolerance will allow me to drink
milk. That has been the mainstay of my diet all my life; I love milk and
cheese. Funny I never connected my symptoms with that when it now seems
so evident. My life since I learned of this is much better in just a week.

Erin gaugh braugh

vance