From:
Amanda Lieberum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2001 14:40:40 -0500

I am in a situation where my HMO is denying the referral I requested for my
daughter to see a pediatric GI.  She has been seeing a Pediatric GI that is
in our network (the only one in my managed care group) but after
discussions with many of you I found out that he is about 10 years behind
in practice with celiac.  He was suggesting rechallenge that all of you
cautioned me against.  In part to your opinions I was granted a one time
visit with an out of network GI who confirmed that her original GI was not
only inadequate he has not properly proven she has celiac at all.  I would
like to continue to see this new man but my insurance has denied it.  I am
in the process of filing a letter of appeal and would like to enclose any
medical references to the current standard of care for diagnosing celiac as
proof that the physician they want me to see in inadequate.

Can anyone provide me with some reference material that I can use as
justification, or if there are any physicians on this listserve who can
attest to or provide me with a location to attain the most recent standards
of care for this disease I would appreciate it.

Amanda