From:
Barbara Kornhauser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:30:01 EST

I apologize for taking so long to summarize regarding my question about
visiting Ireland.  I had a few responses, but narrowed it down to the links
listed below, followed by a very detailed response from a very nice  person!  I
hope this helps anyone who needs it.  I know it will be of  great use to us on
our trip.

Barbara

_http://www.holidayhound.com/meath.asp_
(http://www.holidayhound.com/meath.asp)      [log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask])
_http://www.ireland.ie/things_2_do_results_single.asp?sID=31180_
(http://www.ireland.ie/things_2_do_results_single.asp?sID=31180)
_http://www.meathtourist.com/_ (http://www.meathtourist.com/)
_http://www.ireland-guide.com/browse/map.710.923.html#mapTop_
(http://www.ireland-guide.com/browse/map.710.923.html#mapTop)
_http://www.ireland-insight.com/Meath/Bettystown_
(http://www.ireland-insight.com/Meath/Bettystown)
_http://www.meathtourist.com/towns/bettystown/_
(http://www.meathtourist.com/towns/bettystown/)
_http://www.tourismireland.com/us/_ (http://www.tourismireland.com/us/)
EATING OUT
In general, Ireland is not a bad place for coeliacs.  The  incidence is
quite high here, so many restaurants will have staff who do  actually know
what you mean when you
start to explain your dietary needs,  but you can't always trust them
implicitly in case they are under-informed or  just saying what they think
you want to hear.  For example, they might  know that flour is not allowed,
but not realise that unidentified starch is  also a problem.  My advice would
be to bring a clearly written card with  your needs which you can give to the
waiter/ waitress to give to the  chef.  A more recent problem is that there
are now many people working  in restaurants, hotels etc. for whom English is
not their first language so  you may have to ask to speak to someone with
better English to get your needs  understood.

Many places will be quite willing to give you detailed  information or show
you the list of ingredients on a packet or jar etc.  (useful to check things
like the mayonaisse in a salad bar for  example).  If  in doubt, you will
nearly always be able to get  something obviously GF, like plain steak and
veg.,  omelette, undressed  salads etc.  Most places will quite cheerfully
make you a GF sandwich if  you provide the GF bread.  In larger cities, many
Indian restaurants  have a variety of GF options.

AVAILIBILITY OF GLUTEN FREE PRODUCTS
GF  products (bread, bread mixes, flours, pastas, muesli, rice-cakes,
biscuits,  crackers and other snacks) are widely available in pharmacies and
health food  shops and in larger supermarkets (eg. Tesco, Superquinn,
Dunnes Stores,  Super-Valu).

Supermarkets and health food shops are cheaper and will keep  a certain
stock. Pharmacies will not always have the products in stock, but  they will
order almost anything you specify and have it for you sometimes the  same
day but almost always within 24 hours.  Some of the larger cities  also have
Asian shops which can be a good hunting ground for GF  goods.

One thing you have to remember is that the official GF diet here  is less
strict than in some other countries.  Many  products
specifically for coeliacs and labelled GF (especially baked goods  like
bread, biscuits etc. and flour or bread mixes) are made with  wheatstarch
(Codex alimentarius) which is not acceptable in some other  countries.  Also,
we do not restrict distilled alcohols or vinegars, so  these are also allowed
on our lists.  You will have to decide for  yourself whether to follow these
guidelines while in Ireland or not.  If  not you will have to read the labels
even if the product is specifically made  for a GF diet.  [My own view is
that there is probably as little, if not  less, gluten in Codex alimentarius
products which are strictly controlled  than in naturally GF flours where
contamination may be a problem, but of  course this is entirely an individual
decision for every coeliac].  If  you need naturally GF flours etc., you may
have to go to health food shops or  Asian shops, although the Dr.
Schar range which does not contain wheatstarch  is now available in
some supermarkets and Heron Foods also do a completely  wheat-free mix.

Other GF brand names dedicated to GF products include  Juvela, Glutano,
Glutafin, Heron Foods and Ultrapharm while Mulligan's bakery  make a range of
GF baked products and Odlum's make GF flours and mixes. Tesco  supermarkets
carry a large Free From range much of which is gluten-free and  wheat-free.
I'm reluctant to recommend any one brand of GF products as I'm  not sure of
all their ingredients.  Also the range of  products
carried by supermarkets, health food shops or pharmacies can vary  widely
even within in the same chain and sometimes even from month to  month.  You
just have to browse and/or enquire wherever you are at the  time.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION
You should contact the Coeliac Society  of Ireland, Carmichael House , 4
North Brunswick Street, Dublin 7, telephone  +353-1-8721471, 10am.-5pm
(except lunch). Fax
+353-1-8735737(shared with  other groups) for more
detailed information.  Their website url is _www.coeliac.ie_
(http://www.coeliac.ie/)  and their email
address is [log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask])   or [log in to unmask]
(mailto:[log in to unmask])  so you could also contact them  through that.

The Society  would be able to give you a list of  coeliac-friendly
restaurants and guesthouses etc.  They also issue a  Manufacturer's List of
GF products (cost about 10 euro) which might be  useful for snacks or
self-catering.  They could
probably also give  you a list of addresses and phone numbers for the GF
product suppliers who  will be only too happy to discuss their products with
you and enable you to  source them.  Again you may want to check such
products' ingredients  lists for wheatstarch.

SPECIFIC DUBLIN INFORMATION  -

SUPERMARKETS
Tesco, basement, Jervis Shopping Centre (entrance is on  Mary Street)
Dunnes Stores, branches in both Henry Street and the Stephen's  Green
Shopping Centre.  Marks and Spencers (branches in Henry Street and  Grafton
Street) give allergy advice on most of their food  products.

I'm not sure how good these particular supermarket branches are  for GF
goods, but I've included them because they are in the city centre  shopping
area and are easy to find.  Most big supermarkets are in the  suburbs so you
will have to check the phone book to
find the  nearest.

HEALTH FOOD STORES
Holland & Barrett is the largest chain  and has branches in the
Ilac Centre (Mary Street) and in the Stephen's Green  Shopping Centre.
There are other Health food stores equally good around the  city, but I don't
know all their names (I just wander in if I'm passing) -  one of the best is
in Georges Street (it's called Down to Earth) and there is  another good one
in Liffey Street.  There are Asian markets in Drury  Street and Georges
Street.

PHARMACIES
One of the best chains for GF  food is Boots (a UK-owned pharmacy chain) and
its biggest city branches are  in Henry Street and Grafton Street.  However
most don't carry much stock  - you usually have to order it in.

It might also be worth using the phone  book to find other branches of the
above chains - there might be something  closer to where you are.  Also you
could use the Golden Pages part of  the phone book to find other health food
stores.

EATING OUT
This  will depend on your taste and budget and of course what part of  the
city/suburbs you happen to be in. It is always best to phone in advance  and
make sure you communicate with the actual chef - I've had some really  bad
experiences after being given reassurances by receptionists  etc.

At the expensive end, Roly's Bistro in Ballsbridge (within walking  distance
of the Burlington Hotel) is an obvious choice as the chef there  (Colin
O'Daly) is a coeliac himself.  In the same area but less  expensive is
O'Connell's restaurant in Bewley's Hotel Ballsbridge which has  GF items
marked on the menu and has been checked out by the Coeliac  Society.

Further down the price list, Indian restaurants are usually good  as they
tend to use gram (chick pea) flour in some recipes and they usually  don't
thicken their sauces with flour.  For Italian, try Pasta Fresca in  Chatham
Street - they make fresh GF pasta (you have to order it a couple of  days in
advance) and may be willing to provide it in the restaurant for you  if
you give them  enough notice.  In other Italian restaurants, I  have
asked them to cook my own GF pasta separately and have never had a  problem.
Trastevere (Italian) and Fitzer's in Temple Bar both have  Mediterranean
menus with some GF dishes marked as such on their menus.   The only place I
know to do GF pizza and pasta is Prego's in Lucan  (suburb).

In Chinese restaurants the main problem is soy sauce - again  I
have asked them to use my own, but it is sometimes hard to make  them
understand.  I have found the China Schezuan in Stillorgan   (suburb) to be
the most accomodating.  The Thai food in the Chili Club  in Anne's Lane off
south Anne's Street is good and most of the staff seem to  be aware of GF
needs.  There is also an Asian fusion type chain called  Lemongrass with
various branches (nearest one to city centre is in the Liffey  Valley
shopping centre) and they have a coeliac menu with GF items marked as  such.

Health food places like Cornucopia in Wicklow Street, Blazing  Salads in
Drury Street (take away only) and Cafe Fresh in the Powerscourt  Townhouse
Centre are usually quite aware of the GF diet and have dishes  marked as such on
the menu.  The Kilkenny Shop
restaurant in Nassau  Street does GF food (including cakes and scones) -
daytime  only.

Most sandwich places (and pubs at  lunchtime) will make a sandwich for you if
you provide the bread but you  would need to watch out that they don't
contaminate your food with crumbs  from ordinary bread.  Soup Dragon on Capel
Street every near the bridge)  does a good range of GF soups and can usually
provide rice cakes in lieu of  bread.  Itsabagel in the Epicurean Food Hall
on Liffey Street do GF  bagels (imported from the US) and soup and are
careful about avoiding  cross-contamination.   Milis in the same Food Hall
doea GF waffles and  pancakes/crepes.  GF buckwheat crepes with a
range of fillings are also  available at Lemon Crepe and Coffee Co. in Liffey
Street.