Date:
Mon, 6 May 1996 18:05:48 +0200

      There have been several posts recently about travel in European
countries and getting gluten free food.  I have discovered a very helpful
company called Dr.  Schaer, which distributes extensively in Italy (their
headquarters), Switzerland, Germany, Austria, France, Belgium and Spain.  I
have a booklet from them that lists places that carry their products, which
by the way are excellent.

       They have excellent gluten-free bread, pasta, rolls, cookies, etc.
You can fax them to get a more specific list of places where their goods can
be purchased.  Better yet is to order ahead for when you will be in the
particular city, although I found the stock was good in many places.  Their
central fax for Italy, Switz., Germany and Austria is (0473)237595 in Merano
Italy; for France , Belgium and French Speaking Switz., the fax number in
Haguenau is 0033 88 73 95 24 and for Spain, the fax in Madrid is 91 5083981.
The names of the company in the three locations are Dr.  Schaer in Merano,
Dr.  Schaer Dietetique Sarl in Haguenau and Sanavida S.L.  in Madrid.  I also
have addresses if anyone would like to write them.  It helps if you know the
native language when you write them but they are very helpful.  Ala Jax
Lowell, even high school language skills are appreciated.

      If anyone would like further places in specific cities to buy their
goods, I can give them what I have if you send me your fax.  But the
Infoservice in each of the three places has more detail and specifics such as
phone number of the individual stores.

      In Italy, most of the products are carried in Farmacias (Pharmacies).
In Germany and German Speaking Switz., in Reformhauses.  In Austria in
Drogeries.  In France and Spain, they are various.

     Happy traveling!
                              Martha Teeter, on sabbatical in Frankfurt