From:
"D&J G." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 16:14:50 -0700

Hello all,

Thank you all for the medical alert responses. Here are the results out
of 20 responses:

11 Celiacs wear the bracelet. Some say it makes people take them more
seriously and some say it makes them feel better "just incase."

4 Celiacs are not wearing it. Many say that "nobody knows what it is,"
and some say that they'd rather be treated for a heart attack (if that
happened) than not to be treated because somebody not knowing what
Celiac disease is, would be afraid to do something to make situations
worse.

5 Celiacs said that they are not presently wearing one, but getting one
later on, like when they're old or would like one. For those of you who
do want info on where to get one, the number for MedicAlert is
1-800-668-1507. This number is taken out of "Nova Scotia Celiac News," I
have no idea if it works outside of Canada.

And now, for all of you who were confused about the ingredients that I
said were bad in my first Sun protection summary.... it was just a
summary, I was stating the answers I got from people who responded.
However, because I was intrigued myself about why these 2 ingredients
are bad for Celiacs, I went to see a pharmacist at the drugstore. I
picked up some lotion and I asked her if they were gluten free (or bad
for Celiacs). She told me: "If you have Celiac disease, gluten in
lotions or cosmetics will not affect you because Celiac disease is an
intestinal problem." (She also added: "I'm a Celiac and it doesn't
affect me.")I told her that I had gotten sick using one with certain
ingredients (Benzophenone-3 especially) and she told me that the don't
have gluten... the ingredients  are alcohol-based. Then, I remembered
something I read... alcohol is a distilled product... distilled products
somehow (and I don't remember why, how or what) do something like
gluten. Anyway, the pharmacist told me that she'd get in touch with the
companies (Coppertone, Banana Boat....) and get back to me. Anyway...
obviously topical products do not affect all Celiacs. So I guess that
it's a trial and error thing. Hope this clears up some confusion.