From:
Diane Farias <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diane Farias <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 00:29:22 -0500

Thanks to all who replied to my recent message asking for experiences at
eating GF at Red Lobster.  About 28 people responded.  21 responses were
positive and 7 were negative.

Of the 28 positive responses, most said they spoke with the manager or chef
and took their celiac dining card, went at off times and gave very specific
instructions (ie) cooke on clean part of grill.  All 28 said they were very
careful in what they selected to eat and were able to enjoy a safe meal
without incident. Most said the manager and wait staff were very helpful.
The items listed that were ordered and eaten without incident were:
-shrimp
-salad  or seafood salad with no croutons
-steamed  vegetables with no seasoning
-broiled or grilled fish
- vinagrette dressing
- salmon
- ultimate feast (replace breaded shrimp with second order of scampi)
- Lobster and crab
- steak
- applesauce
- talapia in a bag
- broiled chicken breast
-strawberry milkshake using strawberries and Gf ice cream

Of the 7 responses that were negative, many had problems due to secondary
allergies such as milk, corn, soy, etc.  The warnings were as follows:
- French fries are coated in wheat flower
- two people said the melted butter caused a reaction.  One had a
sensitivity to corn and said the melted butter is 1/2 butter and 1/2
margerine.
- two said the baked potato is not safe.
- several said that they requested croutons not be mixed in the salad and
their salad did have croutons in it when it arrived
- two said the seasoning salt is not GF.  One said that every plate that
leaves the kitchen has seasoning on the plate and you have to request a
clean plate without the seasoning.
- two said avoid the rice as it has little pasta's in it
- another said he did not trust them because even tthe non-breaded foods are
cooked in prepacked bags that have flour inside as a nonstick agent.

Finally, one individual recommended that I contact Red Lobster customer
relations by looking under www.redlobster.com which I did.  The email
response follows.  They do not have a gluten free menu but are apparently
working to develop some sort of listing regarding allergens.  They did not
respond when I asked for an estimated completion date?