Date:
Mon, 26 May 2008 12:49:18 -0600

On a recent cruise I observed a chef preparing scrambled eggs and French
toast on the same flat grill; eggs on one half and toast on the other.  I
also noticed that during serving he used the same tongs to pick up the
French toast as he did to pick up a potato patti, which I was told was
gluten free.   For whatever reason I did not think of it as a cross
contamination issue at that moment and chose some scrambled eggs and potatio
patties.  I did not have a reaction of any kind.   This prompts me to ask
the following question.

The potential for cross contamination is certainly there, however, when you
have scrambled eggs perhaps touching French toast which is covered in egg,
both being cooked, how high is the potential for cross contamination?  After
all,  the scrambled egg is not directly touching the bread.   As well, when
using the same tongs to pick up French toast and potato patties where is the
cross contamination when you have the tongs touching the cooked egg surface
and then the potato pattie.

I'm not saying the above is totally free of potential cross contamination
but one could look at it as being very minimal.

Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

Dennis

*******
*******