From:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 2010 21:16:19 -0500

Sorry for the delay in this summary.  Below is my original post and the responses I got.  Thank you to everyone that responded.  Rita

I was told by a co-worker about a radio interview on WHO radio talk show I believe that a chiropractor in Cedar Rapids, Iowa said he could help alleviate gluten sensitivity and also mentioned celiac in 3 treatments. Does anyone have any more information on this or did anyone else hear this interview?  I believe the interview took place sometime in February or the beginning of March.A person I work with thought I could possibly go to this Chiropractor and then be "less" sensitive to gluten and not have to worry so much about one crumb being left around our office.  I don't believe for a minute that a chiropractor can "cure" celiac, but would like to know what he said so I can give reasons to my co-worker why this just isn't true and would not work.
I did not hear this interview however, I am aware that a chiro in Tennessee offers similar treatments;  he deals with various allergies, ADHD, etc. What I do know is that my friend's grandson is eating dairy which he could not do before these treatments.  At this time in MY life, I use a chiro in West Virginia who has greatly made a difference in my life and total well being.  In regard to celiac, this is a gene issue vs an allergy issue.  I would think therein lies the difference; as far as behavioral challenges are concerned, I would want to believe that he has established some formula to approach this behavior.  In my non-medical opinion, this would fall under some other cause as well;  I only can say that from my years of celiac, I believe that altering a gene or lack there of that you were born with/without may  introduce a different kind of challenge.  Will be interesting to see responses. Thanks for introducing the topic

I'm sure your coworker must really care about you to share this hopeful news. And certainly, it's hard to evaluate a chiropractors' recommendation third hand.

He is saying some very dangerous things if he is indeed promoting a plan for Celiac sufferers. Unless he has somehow surpassed Dr. Fasano at the Univ. of Maryland in the zonulin inhibitor research, he is misleading people to bad health.  Even if he DID reduce the reaction somehow, your internal intestinal "hairs" will be flattened and it will take a long time for them to recover.  I have completely ruined myself due to undiagnosed celiac disease (very few symptom I might add). I have nerve damage. I have paralysis. It's bad.

Please wait for the results of Dr. Fasano who is testing a medication that will somehow reduce the porosity of our intestines and PERHAPS reduce the sensitivity to gluten contamination. It isn't a cure but it sounds like it's what you're looking for.

I have had a chiropractor say this to me in person (at which point I thought: We have nothing more to say to each other!!). He does a special
kind of allergy treatment that uses lasers to the brain (I think). I had someone who has this treatment on a regular basis explain this to me and
from memory it involved trying to rewire the brain to not see particular allergens as allergens, thus alleviating the allergic reaction.

This MIGHT work for allergies, but celiac isn't an allergy, it's an autoimmune disease that is genetically coded. For a chiropractor to say they
can 'help' with celiac is overstepping their mandate/area of expertise, and - I think - demonstrates that they really don't understand what celiac
is. Not even the medical researchers whose life work is finding a way to alleviate the symptoms of celiac are claiming they do this yet (although
they have some interesting things in the works, from what I hear).

If the chiropractor is talking about a wheat ALLERGY, that MIGHT be different, but I can't see that the two are related, except that wheat is
implicated in both conditions. Unless the chiropractor is also a geneticist that is holding out on the medical community, I can't see what they would
have to offer. (Sorry for the over-the-top reaction but these claims really bother me, kind of like waitresses giving advice to their clients on cancer treatments, as happened to a friend of mine.)

I live in Cedar Rapids and would like to know who this so called Dr. is! Is this Dr, going to remove your DNA and get rid of yor genes?  I don't think so.

A friend of mine mentioned a chiropractor who has said the same thing.  She was unclear about what in the treatment "caused" the cure.  I am very interested in this reply so that I can also refute the, to my mind, false info that my friend received.  What I did say was that celiac, allergies, etc. are all "diseases" that have their origins in the genetic makeup of a person.  Chiropractors don't usually work with the genetic makeup of a person when they give adjustments.  I left it at that.  Also, my personal chiropractor would sniff at this info.  She's well aware of the issues around celiac disease.

Many chiropractors also sideline in supplements.  Perhaps he feels he has something to counteract gluten.  Whatever he is pushing, it won't work.  Supplements are not FDA approved anyway.   Steer clear.

I am sorry to be so blunt but, I would love to say to that person,  "Are you kidding me?" We have come a along way over the years in teaching people what celiac  disease is all about and now Naturalpatic Doctors, Nutritionists, Chiropractors (no less)  are trying to undo all the good information that is finally out there for us celiacs. I am sorry but please, tell your friend that the only way to live with CD is to follow a gluten free diet for life.

I live in Green Valley, Arizona,  and have a chiropractor in Tucson who does acupressure and/or acupuncture treatments to cure allergies and
other health problems.  I went to her after moving here from Ithaca, New York, where a physician's assistant did the same kind of treatments.  I had
a list of foods, plant and tree pollens,  weed pollens, out gassings from paints, leather tannin smells in shoe stores, car exhaust, out gassing from
cheap carpet and  polyester in clothing,  etc. etc. etc. that all caused me misery, - sometimes diarrhea, sometimes itchy eyes, sometimes headaches,
sometimes asthma, etc...... and have been cured of all of the above.  The search for someone in Arizona, after we moved here,  was to cure reactions
to plants that do not live in New York State.  I have now lived 10 years with no negative reactions to any of my former problem items. No further
treatment has been necessary.

The amazing thing in New York was that when the series of PAINLESS treatments in Ithaca was finished, the practitioner said, "OK, you can now
breathe and eat and drink and have penicillin shots, and painkillers and have NO reaction."  My response was, "Well, I can  eat anything that does
not contain gluten, but of course celiac disease is  caused by a gene and I cannot be cured of that."  And SHE said,  " You are now ALSO ABLE TO EAT
GLUTEN.  It took me three months to work up my courage to even try something with gluten in it, but another of her patients, who had initially told me about her cures, told me that she had been eating gluten for six months with no negative reactions and I had to try it.  With great trepidation, I bought
a molasses cookie.  NOTHING happened.  A few days later I had a croissant, nd again, no reaction.  I don't even remember the third thing I tried, but
since then, and it has been almost  10 years, I have been able to eat anything with no problems.  I had been gluten-free for 20 years.  My doctor
was also my husband's best friend and his wife was my closest friend.  He gave me blood tests after the NAET treatments, and said, "Well, I cannot
believe it nor understand it, but you no longer   react negatively to gluten even with the blood tests.  As long as you are healthy, I see no reason to
stay gluten-free.

The treatment is called NAET - which stands for Nambudripad Allergy Elimination Treatment.    Nambudripad   is the last name of a woman doctor
from India.  She has degrees in Oriental Medicine as well as and MD and a degree in chiropractic from the USA.  I call the whole process voodoo
medicine, but whatever you call it, it has  worked wonderfully for me.  No pills, no shots, no air filters, just a normal  life. Once cured, it is supposed to last a lifetime, and it  has now worked for me for ten years, with no problems.  I don't gorge on bread and cookies, and I still use cornstarch when making gravies, but when I am at the home of a friend or at a restaurant, I eat anything and everything with no problems.

I wrote about this to the Celiac LIST  back in around 2001, and was immediately sent a message by the LIST owners, saying  that if I ever wrote about this to the LIST again, I would be kicked off.  So I stay on the LIST and  once in a while send this information to someone who sounds like he/she might be interested.  You can learn about this on a web site:  www.NAET.com    If you follow the directions you can find out whether or not there is a practitioner in your area of the country.  I wish you good health.

I didn't hear the interview, but there are a number of ways to manipulate the immune system, mostly through hormones, that can reduce your sensitivity. Every one of these manipulations that I'm aware of have some long-term consequences that I would not be willing to trade for short term relief of hypersensitivity. I know it is a pain in the neck to react to every little thing. I've been there. I seem to have lost that hypersensitivity in the last 4 or 5 years, but I spent the first ~12 years after diagnosis being paranoid about gluten. Maybe I'm just in the habit of being very careful so I'm not getting any accidental ingestions now. I don't know. But I am grateful that I no longer seem to be having those problems on a regular basis. Everyone is different but maybe you will lose some of your hypersensitivity as time passes.