Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 16:51:04 -0600

Hi Gang,

This might be a long shot, but I have a question to ask, and maybe some one has some knowledge or experience that could help clarify a situation I am currently in.

I have written before, but will briefly state my condition and symptoms, and then ask for information or ideas.

I have gluten intolerance, not celiac disease.  I have many food intolerances, worsening over the last few years.  I have many symptoms associated with celiac disease, although not having celiac disease.

My main difficulty has been insomnia.  It has been treated with Ambien for many  years.  However, I have developed severe tingling and burning in my legs.  As some of you know I have been through many tests to rule in and out various diseases.  Just switched medications to Restoril, and bingo -- the burning in my legs has all but disappeared.  However,there is still a buzzing or tingling sensation, but that is much easier to deal with for me.

Bad news is that 6 days on Restoril and I am having intense back spasms during sleep, which worsen as I inhale and decrease as I exhale.  Of course this is making the effectiveness of my Restoril not so good.  I called the pharmacy and there is no gluten or dairy in this particular brand, plus I took it out of the capsule to reduce other possible toxins.  I called my internist and he suggested the spasms were withdrawal from the Ambien.  The pharmacist did not think so.  My intuition tells me that it is chemical sensitivity, since I have these spasms with other toxic foods, although not as bad as this time.  I was on Restoril several years ago and also had the same spasms, and we went through all sorts of expensive tests.  I do not think the spasms are due to any back problems.

I am being evaluated by a neurologist for neurological disorders (like MS, etc.)  I was wondering if any one on this list has had reactions like this?  I am particularly wondering if any one on this list has an auto immune disorder like MS or Lupus, and if they have these spasms, or if Restoril would cause them in patients with these disorders?

I am also wondering how many celiac or gluten intolerant persons have insomnia as a main problem?

Any info I will appreciate and will share.

By the way, the Restoril is the only medication I am on, I have no other diseases or conditions that I know of, and I am on a very strict gluten, dairy, soy, corn, etc diet.

Denise