From:
Abigail Neuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 1997 15:55:12 -0700

This is my summary on Antiyeast Medications and Gluten.  I am sorry it took
so long to put this together.  I had 15 responses.

If someone would like to see all of the responses, please send me an email.
I will send one longer message all of the responses.

One respondent was told by the manufacturer that Terazol 3 contains gluten
after she went into shock after using it.  I phoned in August of 1997.  I
spoke with the quality control personnel who assured me that the product is
gluten free.  Several other respondents claim that Terazol 3 is the only
thing that works for them, and they have no negative reactions from it.
Therefore, I think it most likely is gluten free at this time.  Monistast was
recommend by many, but one Celiac had a negative reaction to this medication.
It too it gluten free per my phone call of August 1997.

One respondent was told by someone that such creams contain sulfa.  I found
this of interest because I do have an intolerance to sulfa and other Celiacs
may just happen to have this intolerance too.  But alas (after a phone call
to my pharmacist, who looked up all of the typical ingredients to these
creams) I discovered that there are no sulfas or similar chemical structures
to sulfa in these medications.

Please note that one respondent with Celiac Disease told me that she uses
these creams all of the time and never has a problem with any them, and she
reacts immediately to other medications which have contained gluten.

All of the remaining respondents have trouble with most of the creams.  For
those of you who are interested in home remedies, I received some good
recommendations.  Please email for a complete list of responses to obtain
these suggestions.

I think at this point, I am going to assume that my sensitivity is unrelated
to gluten.  However, if there is someone out there who eager to try a gluten
content food test kit on such creams, many of us would be interested in the
results.

If I forgot to send an individual thank you to any of my respondents, I would
like to thank you now for your email response.  Your imput was greatly
appreciated.

---
Abigail

"To be nobody but myself in a world which is doing its best night and day to
make me everybody else, is to fight the hardest battle which any human being
can fight and never stop fighting."  e e cummings