From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Oct 2012 22:42:40 -0400

I've never been comfortable at Brio's in Marlton, NJ, but since Brio's (maybe not Marlton's) was a vendor at last week's NFCA Appetite for Awareness expo, I figured tonight I'd try them.  I am not going back.

The hostess gave me a gluten-free menu...Knew where it was.  Good start.
Waitress said she has celiac and knows the drill.  She assured me that the chefs know to change gloves, make things separate, etc. Also good.

I ordered salmon with gf penne.  Runner brings me salmon that is sitting on two huge slices of BREADED tomato.  He reassures me they're gf.  Wisdom or skepticism kicked in.  I asked for my waitress, who said  that she entered gf, but this isn't.  (It's a good thing it didn't come with regular wheat penne instead...or I would never have known the mistake.)

She took the dish to the manager, who came back with her and told me " the chef got confused. " She assured me that the chefs, waiters and runners are trained, and she apologized and said she'd comp my meal, which they made over.  However the manager also said this probably wasn't the only mix-up, and that sometimes the person calling the meals doesn't get it right.  Duh!  That made me wonder if she was the one who forgot to tell the chef to make it gf.  The waitress got her to comp the entire dinner (hubby's too).  We gave the waitress a big tip.

Nevertheless, with all their apologies, I am feeling rather ill.  I truly am not sure the chef did it right the second time.

I don't know if I'll do the survey on the receipt (for zero dollars).  Brio, at least in Marlton, has more work to do if they want the gluten-free customers to trust them.  I eat out often.  I am lucky that I have other options where I live.  I try to vote with my wallet...supporting places that have gf menus and do it right.  I feel conflicted over Brio's.  I'd want to support them, but not at the expense of my health.