From:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2008 15:33:18 -0500

hi, List:

I am flirting seriously with the idea of a trip to China in April,
but the ubiquity of soy sauce worries me. As a Chinese friend says,
"It's our salt."

Big cities like Shanghai don't concern me so much, but the goal is to
visit towns and rural areas in Yunnan (SW China) where, according to
friends who have been there, there is absolutely NO English. The
trusty card explaining celiac and gluten intolerance is of course
useful, but I worry about how well it works in a place where soy
sauce is everywhere. What about vestiges of soy sauce in cooking
pots, for instance? Assurances about clean woks might not necessarily
translate to action. And I wonder whether there is much to eat w/out
soy sauce. I would love to hear from anyone with experience in Yunnan.

Thanks -

Mary B.
NYC