From:
Jennifer Lasher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 1998 12:05:12 +0000

Hello all,

I'm new to the list, haven't even seen my first message yet, but need
some info ASAP, and am hoping you can help me.  I apologize for the
length of this letter, but as you will see I've got a lot going on right
now.

Where to start...My name is Jennifer.  I'm 30 y.o, was a chubby baby
then very thin from elementary school on. I eat a lot but have never
been able to gain weight.  I have suffered from depression and toxicity
symptoms (which for years I lumped together) since age 14, attempted
suicide twice at 24 and 29.  I started losing weight at 25 and am now
5'7" and 110.  We moved to a town in WA when I was fourteen, and lived
on a golf course, surrounded by apple orchards and I think the pesticide
exposure is what kicked me over the edge.  Two years ago I started
developing neurological disorders, started falling down stairs, running
into walls, had problems signing my name, ADD symptoms, hypoglycemia --
the list is long.  Last April, after the unprotected removal of 7
amalgam (1/2 mercury) fillings the real nightmare began.  Was very
sick.  Developed chronic fatigue, Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, ear
pain, sensitivity to light and sound, insomnia, night sweats, skin rash
(sounds like the (is it) HD thing, although that is a symptom of mercury
toxicity, as are many of the things listed above).  I struggled for nine
months to prove the mercury toxicity, was laughed at and belittled by a
string of M.D.s who said I was just depressed (your skin doesn't hurt
when you're depressed) and two days before Thanksgiving I got a test
result back, a DMSA challenge, showing that my body-burden of mercury is
extremely high. Whew!!!!!

So.  I sent this list of symptoms to a friend I hadn't seen in a long
time and she called and told me she had the celiac thing and that I
sounded, from what I was eating, that I might have that as well.  I
can't say which came first, or whether the gluten-intolerance was
brought about by the mercury toxicity, or the other way around (via
leaky gut, (which I also have, as well as chronic candida). My latest
theory is that environmental toxins are at the root of it all, that
genetic weak-links appear in the presence of toxins, but perhaps with
the celiac thing it's different.  That remains to be seen.  I was
diagnosed as bipolar (manic-depressive) -- self-diagnosed, and of course
they happily agreed -- 7 years ago.  I gave up the lithium this summer
and the Trazadone, gradually this last month.  I am happy to say I'm off
the medication and doing just fine. I now know that I'm suffering from
an environmental rather than mental, illness  The remaining three
fillings were safely removed in October and I'm happy to say the
depression is so much better. I go through chelation for the mercury in
January, which I am dreading, but I have to get it over with.  I have no
life to speak of, and I cannot tolerate sulpher anymore, which is the
"stuff" of natural chelators.

I am having a hard time differentiating between candida and celiac
symptoms, but have definitely experienced bloating, gas, sharp abdominal
pain from toast, insomnia from grain intake...and last night
accidentally took some of an astragalus tincture -- grain alocohol --
and had horrible insomnia all night.  That and irritability are my worst
symptoms. Have had constipation the last few years which I never had
before, am also very lactose intolerant. I have naturally gravitated
toward a diet of rice over the course of my life.  And right now my diet
consists of rice, poultry, vegetable juice, veg. stir-frys, Bragg Liquid
aminos instead of soy, organic vegetable juice and nuts, especially love
cashews.  That's about it.  Candida rules out everything else it seems.

My greatest concern today is my supplements.  Many say wheat-free, only
one says gluten-free.  I have to have them, they have in some ways made
me feel much better, but I think they are contributing to the gluten
problem.  I have huge issues, since April especially, with rage.  I am
very often irritable and when I'm chelating the mercury there is added
anger.  I'd like to remove the gluten element before chelation to
hopefully lessen the psychological reaction to the mercury removal
process. I'm unable to tolerate many of the colon powders, intestinal
permeability powders that my doctor has recommended and wonder now if
they contain gluten. The hives, irritability and insomnia are unbearable
when I take them. If I may so indulge I will include the ingredients
here.  If anyone can identify anything in these lists as being
glutin"ous" please let me know. Am going to replace the vitamins that
say only "wheat-free" today and see if that helps.

Psyllium husk gave me alot of problems
Other supplements contain:
Cellulose
Stevia extract
FructoOligoSaccharides
Whey
Stearic acid (vegetable source)
enteric coating
silica
Food glaze
Croscarmellose
Methylcellulose

Do I need to be as concerned with my *herbal* formulas if they are in
capsule or tablet form?

I intend to do all the research I can about this but I need help today
with this.  Thanks very much ahead of time if you are able to offer some
assistance!

Jennifer