From:
Francine Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Francine Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2014 19:16:23 -0400

Thank you to all those that replied, I appreciate all your tips, information and reassurance. It helped bring down my anxiety level!
Here is the summary:
I heard from a few people that Israel breakfast buffets at the hotels are quite amazing with lots of fresh fruit, fresh fruit, vegetables, cheese, nuts, hummus.

Print and download to phone gluten free dining cards
http://www.triumphdining.com/glutenfree/apps.php#apple
http://glutenfreepassport.com/allergy-gluten-free-travel/gf-translation-cards/

The Hebrew term for gluten-free is lo glutine

Website for Israel Celiac Association  http://www.celiac.org.il/En.htm

In Tel Aviv we found that Anise on Dizengoff Street is a great natural food store that stocks two brands of gluten-free bread- - GreenLite and Bar-el Life.  The latter makes terrific rolls and breads that I prefer over GreenLite but both are good.  You’ll find lots of good restaurants that can accommodate the diet. We had a great meal at Café Marco including g-f pasta (right near Anise on Dizengoff.)
Jerusalem had a number of very accommodating places if you are going there.  Throughout Israel there are kebabs of ground lamb and beef that are more like burgers and usually (maybe always)  don’t have anything added.  Sometimes the roasted eggplant seems to have something in it, but the hummus is always safe and delicious.  In Haifa and Tel Aviv we also found grilled chicken thighs (kebab fashion) that were safe and delicious.  Stay away from falafel unless you know the restaurant makes it gluten free.  Falafel Baribua is a chain that’s gluten free.  If you happen to find one, the falafel is a treat.
The big things to watch out for are bulgur wheat that is used in some salads and pita chips served with the Fattoush salad.  The latter is a tomato, cucumber and feta salad which is otherwise okay.  (ask them to leave off the pita.)  Most people speak English and all the menus are in English but I recommend carrying a restaurant card that translates the diet to Hebrew just to be sure you are communicating properly.

I brought several bags of CrunchMaster crackers and some Snyder pretzel sticks which were a life saver.  These are great for dipping in hummus and snacking.

Here are two good travel sites:

http://www.celiactravel.com/stories/gluten-free-israel/

http://www.israelinsideout.com/Table/Gluten-Free-Israel/

For some more specific places, I received this information:
Burgerim (a great place for burgers) (I believe this may be a chain, forget if in Tel Aviv or Jerusalem)
Pasha (Tel Aviv)

In Galilee: Ein-Gedi Dining hall, in the Kibbutz. 052-3960779

Giraffe, Ibn Gvirol 49, 03-6916294  (Tel Aviv and other cities)

Falafel Baribua; Valenberg 24 and Yad Haruzim15; *95395  (Tel Aviv and other cities)

Café Café (all over the country)

Also, one more website:
Check out the Israel reviews on our website:

http://glutenfreetravelsite.com/Middle-East/Israel-gluten-free-restaurant-reviews-127

Again, I appreciate all the time everyone spent who replied!
Francine Siegel