From:
Troy and Amy Budreau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 13:46:14 -0500

Thank you for all the responses to my question on whether distilled
vinegar is OK or not--as you can guess I received responses saying "Yes
it is GF" and responses saying "No it can't be because I can't tolerate
it"!

The consensus is this:  Distilled vinegar is GF.

I was told by several people that Ann Whelan had an article about it in
Gluten Free Living (was also told I need to subscribe to this because it
is a great way to learn more about controversial issues like this one)
and scientists all say that no gluten is present after the distillation
process, HOWEVER, companies can add things AFTER the process to their
product for taste or whatever and it can make the product not GF.

I was also told that if the label just says vinegar in the US it is corn
vinegar.

Thanks again!  This will make life a little easier knowing that if that
is the only thing in the product that is questionable that it should be
OK for us to have.  I only wish that companies could find this out so
that if that is the only thing questionable they can tell us yes or no
instead of saying "it is GF but we can't guarantee it" type thing since
they don't want any of us "mad" at them!

Amy in Iowa