From:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 1997 17:32:09 -0400

Recently, a person posted a message about having leg cramps or
discomfort after going off gluten.  I cannot find her personal address.
When I went off gluten, I also continued to have leg cramps and pain that
felt like it was in the bone or deep muscle.  The doctors said something
about restless leg syndrome or calcium deficiency.  I found it was
neither. It was intolerance of soybean.  This is how I discovered I had
both gluten and soy problems.  Perhaps others have more than one
problem.  It takes time to try different withdrawals and challenges, but
if a symptom persist it might be a place to look.  I had just a little
soy in progesterone capsules I was prescribed.  It took just a few hours
before my legs cramped up.  The drug company told me the capsule did not
have soy at first, then determined that it did.

This lead to another problem that has been discussed.  Since my doctor who
treats me for adrenal insufficiency wanted me on natural progesterone, soy
was the only choice, until Women's International Pharmacy told me about
topical progesterone in a cream form.  You just rub it on your skin once a
day. My gyn felt it would not work.  It would not deliver enough
progesterone.  He was wrong.  My levels with the cream were good.  This
means that WHAT WE RUB ON OUR SKIN CAN BE ABSORBED.  Nicotine patches
are another example of absorption through the skin.  Therefore gluten
can be absorbed also.  I had gluten like reactions from wall papering
and had to let my husband finish the job.  It never occurred to me I was
handling wheat paste.