From:
Rita Malkin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rita Malkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2008 13:33:56 -0700

Thanks to everyone who responded to my communication about P.F. Chang's.  I received
  many responses.  An example of those responses follows. What's interesting is that I immediately wrote to P.F. Chang's corporate headquarters and have yet to hear from them.
  My impression is that what happened to me in Ohio is not unique.  I believe that if a restaurant in going to offer the public a gluten free menu, they should adhere to cooking gluten free and provide a safe cooking environment for the celiac..  I get the feeling that it's just a gimic to draw in the customers.  What they don't realize is that celiac community is a growing community and bad word-of-mouth can kill a restaurant.

  To anyone who experences a severe reaction to anything eaten at any restaurant claiming to be gluten free, please take the time to write to corporate headquarters.  Unless and until we get the word out that we mean business, we are all at risk.

  Thanks again to everyone to took the time to care.  You're a terrific group!

  *"Folks in Chicago area are having problems at PF Changs also."

  *"Thanks for the warning.  Sorry you had to feel so bad. Hope you're doing better.  I understand your pain, discomfort & fear, as I've been in that same situation.   Also my family members are more careless than my friends are about my diet & my adult children refuse to acknowledge celiac disease at all.  I will be much more watchful at PF Changs."

      *"I have eaten 3x in Changs and won't take the chance again. I always get glutenized. I even called the manager over and discussed the menu with her. She took care of the order herself. But the next day, I had an attack and each time it takes me longer to get over it. "

  "I can't even trust the manager to tell the cook. I have no idea what went wrong because I ordered the white sauce."

  *"I think you should forward this email onto P.F Chang's.  They would
certainly want to know this and feel bad that this happened to you. It'sall about educating the people we deal with."

    *"I see that as a problem with the individual server, not a PF Chang's or
  restaurant problem."

  *"I don't know that you would notice when both aren't on the table
together, but I watch to be sure the gf soy sauce looks lighter in
 color than the gluten version.

  When I go with a group at work, this was atip-off. Sorry you're sick! I'm always leery of eating out too becauseof these slips. I heard L-glutamine tablets (amino acid) help aidhealing of the gut. Might look into that to see if it would help you--Ifound mine in the organic vitamin section. Also, my celiac mother and eat lots of yogurt with good probiotics--I like Stoney Field Farms or
Brown Cow (both organic and gf) because they have about six beneficial
cultures. Also, kefir has good probiotics. We had a layoff at work last
summer and my guts just boiled with acid over the stress. The intensive
eating of that yogurt and drinking kefir sped my healing time by huge
leaps! Hope you feel better!"

  *"We had the same thing happen at PF Chang's in Concordville, PA on
  Route 1 at Route 322 west of Phila.

  The waitress was new; it was her first day.  She knew the standard spiel
but when we said we wanted the gluten free menu, she brought the 3 sauce tray and we informed her that soy sauce has wheat in it.  She did
not bring any replacement sauce.  We ordered from the gf menu, and she
came back and said such and such was not available (she had written something up similar that was on the regular menu).  We reminded
her we had to be free of gluten, and then the manager came by to check
on people and we explained to him what we needed and he went to the kitchen and did whatever he did, and then came back and answered
questions about other items on the menu................."

Rita

  Rita Malkin
  The Gourmet Celiac Group