From:
Laurie Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laurie Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 2005 08:32:26 -0400

Regarding some recent restaurant experiences both negative an positive:

Negative: We stopped by Portofino, a Philadelphia restaurant recommended by several people as being gluten friendly.several months ago, and the maitre'd told us that we could not eat there safely. I called last week thinking the maitre'd was mistaken, and I was told by whoever I spoke to that they do not accommodate special diets.

Positive: The chef at The Temperance House, a lovely restaurant located in an historical building in on State Street in Newtown, Pennsylvania, is very cooperative. He went through the menu with me explaining what was safe and offered to alter some items to make them gluten free. They offer a reasonable special Menu on certain nights. The food was very good and the atmosphere charming.