From:
Latimer Kells <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Latimer Kells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 May 2002 11:33:42 -0400

Hi, Everyone

Recently visited a dentist who is new to me.  She was recommended to me by my doctor as someone who was well versed in removing mercury fillings properly.  I met with her and discussed my care, and of course the issue of celiac came up.  She said something that concerned me -- something along the lines of  "they recently found out that celiac was caused by H pylori."  Since celiac disease is not well understood by people in this country -- healthcare providers and the general public alike -- I'm sure she was thinking of ulcers or something like that, and not celiac.  However, this statement did undermine my confidence in her reply that all the dental materials she uses are GF.

I know this subject has come up in the past -- long before I was ready to tackle this aspect of my health care.  Has anyone ever learned of the existence of substances that are used in the mouth by dentists that are in fact NOT gluten free?  (Seems I always recalled people reporting that the materials they investigated WERE gluten free).  In other words, is this something I should be concerned about?

Latimer