From:
Mary Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 1995 17:38:33 -0700

>Does anyone have a copy of a dining card they use to give to a waiter or
>chef when dining out? Just looking for the text so I can create one myself.

        I have a file of dining card samples I will share on request, since
the file is long and it is heavily formatted (and thus suitable only as an
email attachment).  Two of the samples are my adaptations of the CSA/USA
cards.  The third is a two-page list that I print up on card stock for those
very special chefs in my life.  It includes suggestions of things I CAN eat,
which helps fight off the celiac-as-houseguest panic attack.

        Since our diets vary somewhat, I think it wise for celiacs to compose
their own dining cards.  As I refine my diet, I adapt my diet card.  Then
there are varieties of chefs:  a vegetarian chef needs to know that soy
pellets can contain HVP, but there's little danger of being served spelt at my
Mom's house.  I attend retreats and find the two page list popular with chefs
who want to tell me what they've prepared for everyone that I can eat too.
(Otherwise, it is agreed that I may borrow a corner of the kitchen during
"work" period.)

        Unfortunately, being very lactose intolerant and having some other
food sensitivities puts my diet in one of the "inner circles" of hell.  Thus
the list is long.  What makes a long list more readable is a thoughtful layout
and a judicious use of boldface type.  I'm sorry that these features don't
show up except as attachments to email.  (My file is composed in Word for
Windows 6.0.  Please ask for an ASCII form if you use something quite
different.)

        Of course, if you can consume lactose, canola, etc.  delete those from
your copy of this file.  I leave them in to illustrate how handy it is to
have a personalized diet card.

Best to all,
Mary Courtney
Los Angeles