From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 23:50:03 EST

Celiac Awareness Day:
---------------------

Governor John Engler has declared Oct. 28, 1999 as Celiac Sprue
Awareness Day.  We encourage you to submit a copy of this to your
local newspapers, asking them to inform their readers.  Perhaps you
could submit your own story, with pictures, to the newspaper to add
local color to this statewide declaration.  (We would like to thank
Donna Genei of the Capitol Areas Celiac Sprue/DH Support Group in
Lansing for bringing this to our attention.)  Here is more information
from Greta deWolf<1>:

Michigan Capital Celiac/DH Group invites all persons with Celiac
Disease (CD), Dermatitis Herpetiformis (DH), families, and friends to
meet at the Michigan Capital in downtown Lansing at 1:00 pm on Oct.
28.  We will then divide into groups and go to legislators' offices as
well as various state offices.

At 4:30 pm there will be cookies and tea at the Reorganized Church of
Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints on the corner of Miller and
Haag.  We can provide further directions.

At 6:30 pm we will have a dinner at the Kellogg Center Michigan State
University.  The dinner is being prepared by students at the School of
Hospitality Business.  This gave our members an opportunity to teach
600 students the gluten free diet.  The cost of the dinner is $20.
Parking is free at the ramp.  Please make reservations by October 15
at 517-349-0294.

For those suffering with CD or DH in Michigan we hope that you will
also do some publicity in your town or city.  You can make a display
at the library, contact your local hospital, school, restaurants,
media, and/or physicians.

We hope to make some people aware of what it means to gluten free!