From:
Karen W Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 1995 09:13:34 -0500

I read with interest David Scheims's information on disaccharide
(maltose, sucrose, lactose) enzyme deficiency in people with
celiac disease.  Disaccharide enzymes are located, in part, in
the intestinal mucosa.  Somewhere in my reading, I found a
reference to decreased pancreatic function associated with
celiac disease, possibly caused by inadequate induction of the
pancreas by a damaged duodenum.  The pancreas also supplies
digestive enzymes including proteases, lipases and amylases.
Your physician can test for protease function and if low, can
provide a pancreatic supplement.  Digestive enzymes from health
food stores are not adequate replacements for pancreatic
insufficiency.  If I can find the reference I'll post it later.
At present, its lost in my files. [log in to unmask]