From:
Susan Alintoff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 17:04:18 EST

Hi Listmates,

I received 11 responses (one just requesting a summary).

5 people recommended the book put out by Stokes Pharmacy. It's called "Celiac
Sprue - A Guide Through the Medecine Cabinet" Compiled and written by Marcia
Milazzo, 2003.
Stokes Pharmacy
639 Stokes Rd
Medford, NJ 08055
800-754-5222
Email: [log in to unmask]
website: www.stokesrx.com

5 people said they have used the Clan-Thompson guide, although one of them
said that it did not contain a lot of listings for antibiotics.
website: www.clanthompson.com

2 people mentioned the list at www.glutenfreedrugs.com, but as I mentioned in
my original post I found that it inaccurately listed ambien as GF and it's
NOT (I called the manufacturer yesterday to check) and one of the people
agreed that that list is out of date and mentioned that it also lists Tums as
GF and they're not (I missed that one).

1 person suggested checking the Listserve archives. (that's actually where I
got my information last Sunday)

1 person suggested that the doctor could have given an IV antibiotic because
they are all GF

1 person gave rave reviews to the Delphi forums list
 //forums.delphiforums.com/celiac
    "Once you get into the site go to START, then scroll down to GF Lists.
You will
    see a list of GF medications, both prescription and over the counter...It
has been
    completely acccurate  as far as I know, and should any medication change,
they
    are quick to change their list."

Personally, I have found the Delphi forums list the most up-to-date and
accurate regarding foods and I would have similar confidence in their GF drug
lists. For the drugs they list they also give the name of the manufacturer
and a phone number so if you have any doubts its easy to call and verify
info. ( I have the site bookmarked on my computer and couldn't think of the
web address when I was at the Dr's office). I will definitely give my
pediatrician that web address to bookmark for emergency reference.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure if they have a lot of generic drugs on their list
and my insurance co. always "prefers" generics(ie gauges you for buying a
brand name drug if a generic is available). Calling the manufaturer is always
the safest option. The Stokes guide was highly recommended by all who
mentioned it and I will probably buy it.
Unless he calls the manufacturer, the pharmacist is getting his information
from the package insert that comes with the meds, and many times the inactive
ingredients are not listed or are vague (when my daughter was first diagnosed
I called to find out if her allergy meds were gf and "other ingredients" was
the last ingredient listed on the package insert).
The  big question is why aren't drug manufaturers required to list the
potential allergens in the medications they produce??? *sigh*
Thank you everyone for your responses and Happy and Healthy Holidays to all...

Susan in Ct