From:
"Diane M. Craig" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 1998 13:40:47 -0800

Hi everyone--This is a very belated general reply to a posting I had a
friend do for me in August. Couldn't reply myself before now because I
didn't have Internet access (still don't) or email (now do).  The survey
summary is below, followed by the original survey questions.   I learned
a lot -- thanks for the information!  --Diane in CA

The CS college survey request received 21 responses: 8 from celiacs
currently attending college, 3 from high school celiacs; 10 from other
interested parties (dieticians, support group leaders, etc.).  Thank you
all for your input!

Respondents who used college food service rated their colleges 8.75 on
scale of 1-10.

Respondents on average ate 22% college food service; 2% fast food, 71%
food cooked by themselves; 3% restaurants; 1% mail ordered food; 1% other
(friend cooked).

Respondents' advice to celiacs attending college fell into 3 categories.
All gave similar advice:
   1.  Meet with food service/ campus dietician/ campus medical
staff/ housing staff/ student disabilities coordinator  as appropriate.
Those responsible for food sometimes needed to be educated but were
invariably helpful; their services were free.  One respondent mentioned
that contract food service companies may be required "to provide at no
additional cost to the student any medically necessary diet"; others
mentioned the American With Disabilities Act and that a school receiving
any federal money is required to accommodate celiac needs.  One
respondent mentioned that her food service provider made bread and
cookies specifically for her.  One respondent mentioned that her school
gave her the largest dorm room, so she could have a refrigerator,
microwave, toaster, and a dry goods storage area for her breakfasts and
lunches.  One respondent suggested asking the campus dietician about
networking with others with the condition, if any.
   2.  Learn to cook. Have access to a small refrigerator, microwave and
cooking containers as a minimum "kitchen".  Breakfast is the hardest meal
to "eat out," according to the respondents.
   3.  "Don't give in to peer pressure [to eat pizza, etc.]."
"Remember many people are allergic to many things; you are not alone."
"Be patient with your new friends." "Show them the cool things you can
eat."

Respondents from Virginia Tech, Drexel University (email address no
longer valid), University of Montana, Utah State, University of Maine,
Kansas State University, University of Florida at Gainesville (email
address no longer valid), and Butler University (Indianapolis) were
willing to share their e-mail addresses and their experiences with
interested students who wish to know more about their schools.  I'm not
sure I'm supposed to post their email addresses, so send your request to
[log in to unmask] and I will forward it to the appropriate respondent. Thank
you all, and best wishes! (PS Stacey and Ed, where are you?)

        THE SURVEY: