From:
Mary Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 1995 01:16:44 -0800

        Here's my GF, LF menu from a recent mountain trip where I didn't want to
do more than assemble or heat up my food. This was also good practice for
when I visit other people's homes on a car trip, that is, when I've got a
way to haul everything and keep it cool, and don't want to mess up someone
else's kitchen by cooking from scratch. If your gut is good at digesting
nut butters, beans, cabbage, etc., add them to your personal travel menu.
 When I'm rich, I'll just mail order everything to be delivered to my
destination, but until then here are my ideas for you to choose from:

Beforehand:
Prepare favorite GF pancake recipe and freeze in meal portions. Add nuts
and fruit to batter if you are not likely to be heating them up. (Make
enough to share with curious wheat-eaters)
Marinate cubes and slices of tofu in lemon juice, GF soy sauce, freshly
grated ginger in a tightly sealed container. Fry just the slices, if you
want less work later. Refrigerate.
Prepare GF tomato sauce (I like Muir Glen's Crushed Tomatoes with Basil. I
add more basil.) and add crumbled tofu or cooked hamburger meat/meatballs
and store in tightly sealed container. Refrigerate.
Prepare favorite Pastariso rice pasta product (read directions!), drain,
cool, and store with a big dash of olive oil in a ziplock bag.
Bake large potatoes and refrigerate.
Saute green and yellow onions, mix and store.
Toast sesame seeds and store.
Cook brown rice and store.
Boil eggs and store.
Bake GF cornbread: (see my White Wave recipe to future post)

Buy and pack (health food grocery list):
Hain Chicken Broth, Arrowhead Mills Corn Grits, Lundberg couscous, real
maple syrup in plastic bottle, favorite margarine in tub (I like Hain),
Arrowhead Puff Rice cereal, Perky's rice cereal or EnerG pure rice bran, GF
soy milk (Westsoy Lite), San-J Rice Crackers, GF bread (Food For Life Rice
Almond), almond slivers, GF vitamin powder.

Buy and pack (mainstream grocery list):
Mocha Mix non-dairy creamer and sugar (for tea lovers), favorite tea (I
like Earl Grey decaf),  Bananas, favorite GF applesauce, Egg Beaters,
raisins (oat-flour-free), real orange juice, carrots, fruit and green
veggies of choice.

Packing tips:
Powdered vitamin fans: remember to pack shaker glass and lid.
Campers: pack a grater (or pre-grate carrots and refrigerate in lemon
juice) Pack can opener for chicken broth. Pack measuring cup for couscous
and grits.
I took some of my favorite oil (safflower) and GF soy sauce.
Soy Sauce storage tip: Find one of those lined metal flasks that tipplers
use (to carry alcohol) for your safe transport of GF soy sauce to
restaurants and on trips. I made a label that reads: Gluten-free Soy
Sauce--Really!

Here's the menu selections:

Hot Breakfasts:
Lundberg couscous. Toppings to choose from: almond slivers, raisins, rice
bran, Hain safflower margarine, maple syrup
Rice almond toast, Hain marg, hard-boiled eggs
Heated up gluten-free pancakes, Hain marg, real maple syrup, applesauce
Plain brown rice, toasted sesame seeds, Hain marg, (chopped egg).
Fried eggs (EggBeaters) over grits (takes a pot and a pan)

Cold Breakfasts/Snacks:
Rice almond bread and Hain marg with hard-boiled eggs
Arrowhead puff rice, Perky's or rice bran, gluten-free soy milk, banana,
raisins, almond slivers
Shaker drink: orange juice, EggBeaters, gluten-free vitamin powder
Tender Tummy snacks: bananas, applesauce, San-J rice crackers, dry rice
bread toast, decaf Earl Grey tea (go easy on the creamer)

Main Meals:
Gluten-free tomato sauce with tofu on rice pasta, sauteed onions.
Baked potato with topping: margarine, chopped egg, onion, sesame seeds, or
the tofu tomato sauce.
Fried tofu sandwich: Fried marinated tofu slices, rice almond bread
(toasted if possible)
Gluten-free cornbread (heated if possible), Hain marg, baked potato
Stir-fry (or soup): cooked brown rice, marinated tofu, sauteed onions,
grated carrots (and other veggies if desired), sesame seeds, San-J
gluten-free soy sauce,  (Water or Hain broth for soup)
Tender Tummy Meal: Brown rice or rice pasta, chicken broth.

Not medical advice, but I can't say enough about traveling with the tender
tummy basics. When I got altitude sickness, I didn't want to cook, and
nothing except broth, rice pasta, and tea had any appeal. Celiacs (and
older persons and those suceptible to altitude sickness) might want to take
two days to acclimate themselves before hiking or working at higher
altitudes. Increase your liquid intake and don't eat anything too heavy or
exciting at first.

I would like to hear what backpacking campers do to travel light on a GF
diet. I suppose if I was packing in my food, I'd take a pot, water, raw
rice, toasted sesame seeds, Mac apples, tofu, soy sauce, my cornbread,
margarine, raisins, decaf tea bags, sugar, and maybe Perky's cereal and soy
milk. (Someday I hope to tolerate peanut butter better. Meanwhile, I digest
hummus (chickpea spread) fairly well.)

Bon apetit,
Mary