From:
Karin Spady <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karin Spady <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 15:43:27 -0800

I want to thank everyone that responded to my question regarding
Darvocet. I had 6 responses.

Two people stated they take generic and brand versions of Darvocet
and have never had a problem. One of the generic pills was bright
pink but she wasn’t sure on the manufacturer. One person responded
stating she takes the generic form from TEVA labs, and stated it was
GF because she had called to check. Another stated they took it after
surgeries and that it was GF. One stated that they didn't know about
the generic, but that the brand name Darvocet is gf and will not
cause gluten problems. One recommended to go to the web site:
www.glutenfreedrugs.com    When I went to that web site, Darvocet nor
its generic were listed. One of the responders had also said that it
wasn’t listed in the booklet she purchased through CSA/USA.

So, from the people that responded, seems like some of the generic
forms of Darvoet are GF and possibly the brand name as well. (After I
got on the internet and talked with pharmacies, it looked like there
are several different companies that make the generic form)

I did check with the manufacturer regarding the generic brand made by
IVAX after the weekend had passed and the gal there told me that it
was GF. She mentioned that the pre-gelatinized starch was made from
corn and that the sodium starch was made from potatoes. (The internet
had afforded me information that indicated that pre-gelatinized
starch is often made from wheat starch) Then she asked me if I needed
to know due to celiac sprue and I said yes. Then she informed me that
most of their drugs are GF, but that a person still needed to check
on each individual kind of med to make sure it was OK. She was very
knowledgeable. So, it sounds like the generic brand of Darvocet made
by IVAX is GF :)

Thanks again for everyone’s help.
Karin

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html