From:
Jan Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 20:59:41 EDT

Just wanted to let all of you know, that I spoke with Kimberly Clarke (yes,
that's her name), from the office in Carlsbad, CA, of Rubio's Baja Grill,
famous for their fish tacos.  I told her I was gluten intolerant, and before
I could blink, she said, "Oh yes, celiac disease", and seemed very
knowledgable about our disease.  She wants to compile a "menu" or list for us
that we could use while eating there, and said to call back in a couple of
months, and hopefully she will have that for anyone who wants it mailed to
them.  As for now, there really isn't anything on the menu that we can have,
especially if some people are more sensitive than others.  The grilled
chicken and fish are marinated using spices that may contain "anti-kicking"
(?) agents that are wheat based, and also they may lay a piece of fish or
chicken down, where another piece of fish or chicken that has been in batter,
has been.  She was well aware of the fact that even a small amount of wheat,
or wheat based product could contaminate something else.  She said, even the
spices in the guacomole may have a wheat base content to them.  I was bummed,
as I was looking forward to a fish taco.  Yes, some are battered, but they
also offered grilled, but that's why I called, I was checking on the
marinade.  She said the chips and salsa are fine, so maybe for awhile, that's
all I'll be able to order.  Just wanted everyone to know!  The number to
reach her is 760-929-TACO.

JAN from Denver